I am fixing to pull the tranny to change clutch. The one with the mounts on the tranny that the pins sit in a cradle. Now I was taucht to crib up a bottle jack on the engine and remove the mount caps and jack engine and tranny up until the pins clear the cradle. Then seperate the tranny. Now this works pretty good but makes for a hard stab going back in. Especially if the engine jack bleeds off a little and ya don't notice. By the way haveing to do this one by myself an at over 60 it ain't gonna be pretty. Anyone know a better way?
Aw Mate I feel for you! I am 56. How achy are your bones after rolling around under the truck? Also the fact that probably no-one else will talk to you except another Vv owner! If it is anything like my 1994 F12 with TD122FR Vv 12litre engine and Vv 14 speed gearbox, you won't need to support the back of the engine because the engine is mounted front and back and will sit there by itself in the chassis. Do you have the clutch kit yet? What clutch is it? Please talk to me before you start because if you have the European clutch (too lazy to look up the name) you are in for a world of fun! As to the gearbox removal, I am lucky to have a tipper so I put the body up and let it down on two sturdy posts so that it is safe. Then I rig a chain block from the top of the hoist. Doesn't give you a lot of movement back and forth but if you rig a turfer-winch or come-a-long you can get the back and forward control. I think I know what you mean by the "pins that sit in the cradle" but I can tell you more about them if we are talking about the same thing. Cheers. Maurie.
Thanks for the reply. This is a USA version with a 90Bbl Vacum tank gonna all be on the floor. And yes me poor joints ouch an back. The mounts unfortunately are on the tranny, the support pins sit in a cradel with a cap. The engine has to be supported with one jack, the tranny with another. Remove caps and jack engine until pins clear the cradel. You actually come out at an upwards angle, which is what makes it so hard to stab if either angle changes from removal to reinstall. We have done more than I care to remember, was just hopeing some one knew of an easier way.
Very different from mine then. Sorry I can't help. Please be very careful. How silly is it to suggest pulling the engine and leave the gearbox in-chassis?
Tried that once, it's just moore trouble than it's worth, and I don't have nuthin stout enough to pull the engine out with.