Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980G series II No steering

dyedfuel2 ยท 2013-07-02 18:53

Hello I have a 980g series II loader it was steering hard.Mechanic took the steering box out took it apart and nothing bad.Put back together now no steering at all ?????????????????????????

Replies3
  1. #1kshansen2013-07-02 20:05

    My first thought would be to check steering pump. I believe what you are calling the steering box is actually the steering valve. If the pump is not creating any flow or not able to put out any pressure you will not have any steering. My thoughts are that by disconnecting lines to remove "steering box" this allowed some air in system and the worn pump is not able to pick up it's prime. Might pay to remove and cut open the hydraulic filter to see if there are some bits of metal in there.

  2. #2dyedfuel22013-07-02 20:48

    took fitting next to pressure compensating valve out and there was oil in pump.at the test port for the pump there is 585 psi.How would be the best way to get the air out

  3. #3kshansen2013-07-07 21:10

    I have a copy of the Cat Steering troubleshooting info on this loader. Email me at: [email protected] and I can send it to you.