We have a 980G Series I that is having a problem steering to the right. All other hydraulic functions works like normal including steering to the left. When you try to steer right it becomes very stiff and you need two hands to get it to move, once it gets past a certain spot it works fine, until you go left again. Any ideas what could be causing this?
serial number please,also there are two types of steering for these machines ,command steer. can identify by steering wheel it has the FNR switch and shift buttons or the HMU style which is a full steering wheel Mark
The serial is 2KR01856 it has the command steering in it. We were thinking maybe the centering valve? We last used a few months ago and worked fine when we shut it down and when we fired it back up yesterday it started happening.
check that the steering shaft slip joint is free. as the machine begins to turn the steering shaft length changes. with the earlier machines the safety guard on this shaft had no provision to gain access to the nipple that greases this area .some people removed these guards completely but I used to use a hole saw and drilled through the plastic shield. Mark
We had removed it and it seemed to be free, any other ideas?
Quick check to make sure your cab bolts are tight?
It ended up being exactly this! Originally they tried moving it and thought it was good, but they ended up taking it a part and the grease inside mixed with dirt was causing it to stick, they ended up cleaning and removing the guard. Works perfect now, thanks Mark!
I know those shafts have to be "timed" when you put it back on so the loader will stop turning when you move to center etc. I love our 980g it's just a rock solid machine.... Pushing 18000 hours too
Is that the one that has gone through 5 transmissions? Is it a G or a G Series II? We had two of the G's and one of the G Series II. Not sure why but one of the G's seemed to eat front wiper motors, fun job changing them!
Yeah we ended up having to take it out a few times to get the timing right. 18,000 hours shes just a baby, ours is pushing 29,000. Just sold our 980F with 72,000 hours on her.
? Are you talking about the transmission or the wiper motor when you say you had to take it out to get timing right?
Sorry, the reply made it seem as I was referring to the wiper motor, but I meant we had to take out the steering shaft a few times to get the timing right.
Okay that makes more sense. Trying to remember if there are marks on the shaft to get the timing right. I know on the Mack trucks we had the shafts had marks that you had to line up, not easy to see but they were there. As I recall they were little arrows stamped in the two sections.
There were marks, but they wore off or just couldn't see them, but we got it... Eventually
Yes it is that loader. To wipers have always worked for us lol
Its a g series By the way. But I got the timing first shot I cleaned the flanges with rags and brake clean then took a sharpie and outlined the flanges. Lined them up perfectly lol.
Yeah she is a good girl 18k hours does seem low for a 980 it would appear. How many transmission have you guys killed in 29k hours?
I'm looking for wood to knock, because so far none. From all the ones we have had we don't see any tranny problems til 35-40,000 hours. We have had much more engine trouble then transmission.
19,000hr is what we got out of the 3406C in our G model. Ate a cam. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I guess I wonder why we went through so many trannys
To get to the bottom of your transmission issue I guess you have to start checking boxes - transmission adjustments, calibrations, type of oil, oil analysis results, oil change frequency, etc, etc, before you look at how it's being operated. IIRC you said you had an HD transmission installed now. IMHO that might fix your transmission issues only to cause problems somewhere else in the power train because it's no longer the weak link. I hope not.
As far as what all was done before I got around this machine I have no idea but it hasnt always been just the trans i guess they shelled a converter once and shortly after that a trans my guess is things didnt get cleaned out properly. this last time though it took out reverse clutch pack. I think due to the operator working in soft ground and romping on it to reverse out in second gear instead of down shifting to first and easing it out of the soft stuff. They have always ran Cat to-4 30wt. but as far as filter changes it likely never been that good until recently. I am however hoping that this heavy duty trans holds up a lot better because when I installed the entire assembly( TQ, Trans, drop box all reman) I cleaned all the lines and replaced the transmission oil cooler, new filter and new oil obviously. Just seems really strange that when most guys says a 980g never has too much transmission issue here we are having pulled it 5 times lol
Bonjour j'ai un problème avec la 980H qui a un problème de direction il réagit lentement du côté droit et il est un peu dure