Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980GII or 980H Rebuild

LoaderMonkey ยท 2009-10-20 17:41

How many hours are you guys getting on your 980's before a rebuild? Load-out application. I'm wondering if I can push it another year or if I need to hit it this winter.

Replies9
  1. #1Chris917862009-10-20 18:38

    Complete rebuild? or just powertrain rebuild?

  2. #2paulbinso2009-10-20 19:48

    24000 - 28000 hrs. is good time to do a Certified Powertrain Rebuild. But, I would definately look at oil samples to help determine this.

  3. #3LoaderMonkey2009-10-20 21:22

    Just powertrain. Engine, trans/converter and axles.

  4. #4LonestarCobra2009-10-21 19:54

    17,000-20,000 hours is the normal amount of hours we get on them before needing a rebuild. We always do the engine, tranny, diffs, finals, and brakes.

  5. #5Turbo218352009-10-21 20:18

    Last 980G I ran had well over 18,000 hours on it. Still running strong.

  6. #6qball2009-10-21 20:54

    i have ran a 34000 hr 980f. they run for ever. rebuild it.

  7. #7John C.2009-10-22 00:12

    From what I've seen going over 15,000 hours starts making the repair costs shoot up significantly. I've seen 20,000 hour rebuilt engines that cost more than buying a new one. I think LonestarCobra is pretty well on.

  8. #8ben46a2009-10-22 23:20

    We trade ours at 16,000 hrs or so without touching anything. Id say with good maintenance 20,000 without much problem.

  9. #9komatsukid2009-12-13 20:40

    Does Cat still recommend doing a main bearing roll around 14000 hours?