I have to replace the track adjuster seal on my Cat 983. Not a fun job- I did the opposite side a few years ago, it involves splitting the track and pulling the idler out. Not fun, and on this old machine it's going to entail the certainty of breaking off large grade 8 bolts and drilling and retapping, etc... So, I'm looking for a shortcut. The machine is only occasional use, maybe a few times a year if that so it doesn't have to be perfect. My first thought was to cut a chunk of metal and install between the two red lines in the first pic. This would substitute for the grease cylinder and would still allow the recoil spring to function. A second less desireable choice would be to put a piece of heavy angle steel where the yellow box is in the third pic, which would work but eliminates the recoil spring. A third option is to cut a section out of the rod, between the blue lines in the second pic, giving enough room to get the offending cylinder out so that a new seal can be installed. The rod could then be welded back together. Or, of course I could split the track, pull the idler and fix it according to the Cat book, but that's no joke on something this size. What do you think?
Whatever you do, don't eliminate the recoil spring action or you will be bending and breaking idler shafts or other assorted parts. Best not ask how I know this.
Whenever I had to do a quick fix on a broken adjuster I would try to put something in there that wasn't overkill on strength to provide a sort of safety valve. Piece of pipe or something that would hopefully give before major components LOL
On my 955H when it blew I used aluminum bar stock .Cut to length and wired about 6 around the chrome shaft to keeep it extended.Don't use steel as I'm afraid it would rust and possibly damage the chrome .It let me finish what I need done and fixed it proper when time alowed. Russ
Soak it in Kroil for a week, pull the pin------ ! the rest will be automatic as you'll be 'obligated' to finish it right!
good luck
Well, I finally decided to torch the rod apart and take it out that way. Glad I did, ended up being pretty simple and far easier than removing the track and idler.
Here are the old and new seals on the bench. I have video of the whole "procedure", hope to have a vid on youtube soon.
Nice job dave. I don't think I've ever seen a Lincoln welder quite like that one.
Dang, I thought I had an old portable lincoln!