Hi, if it were possible, I would like historical information on Caterpillar A-series wheel loaders from the 1960s, especially the massive flagship 988A, which I believe was the largest wheel loader built at the time. Or perhaps they also made the 990. I believe they had a rigid, non-articulated frame with a forklift-style steering rear axle. Am I wrong? Thanks, Happy Holidays. I'm waiting for information and material. Thanks. https://i.machineryhost.com/363763e5c3dc3a68b399058c34aecf2c/5f0da4832657982ff0c8cffa3fc00050/large-IMG_6942.jpg
Interesting question the only straight frame machines I can remember are 922,944 and 966. They were a model the 988 a model was articulated 87a serial number comes to mind. As far as a 990 was a that came about a lot later the 992 was early with a 25k serial number
The 988 wheel loader with 87A S/N prefix was produced between the years 1963 and 1976. The engine was a D343 producing 325 FWHP. It was an articulated frame machine. It was replaced by the 988B in 1976. The first 990 wheel loader with 7HK S/N prefix powered by a 3412 engine producing 610 FWHP was not introduced until 1996. The first model of 992 wheel loader with 25K S/N prefix was produced between the years 1968 and 1973. It was powered by a D348 engine producing 550 FWHP. It was replaced by the 992B (but still retained the 25K S/N prefix) in 1973 until the 992C model replaced it in 1977.
Thanks for the clarification, I remember the 966c caterpillar, the 950, the 930, the 920,910, as dozers the d8, d6, the 955, 550,941c and k for the crawler loaders, unfortunately the big mechanical shovels were not used in my area, thanks
Any old fellows besides me remember the fiberglass cabs on the early 988s? And the early 992s with the rops pinned to the frame
I do. I also remember the early 769s & 773s with fibreglass cabs.
??? CATERPILLAR 773A CAT 773A, 50 Ton Capacity
That’s the one. 63W prefix IIRC. I first came across them in 1975.
The only CatWagon I operated is probably one of these B models at Rhine. HeavyEquipmentForums
Worked on a few of the fiberglass cab 988's and 769's, and a couple 773's with the glass cabs over the years! Along with a good assortment of other Cat equipment from the early 1970's till I retired in in 2015!
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the first model that came out with a steel cab from the beginning was the 777. We got our first ones in 1977 if memory serves, and they were like spaceships compared to the 773s. The D348 engines not so much…
https://www.lectura-specs.it/it/modello/movimento-terra-e-stradale/dumper-rigidi-caterpillar/773-11740842 "The Caterpillar 773 truck, introduced in 1974, is a heavy-duty off-highway haul truck designed for mining, construction, and quarry work. Renowned for its durability and reliability, it evolved through multiple series—B, D, E, and G—enhancing power, operator comfort, and serviceability. Caterpillar’s comprehensive service and repair manuals ensured efficient maintenance, making the 773 a globally trusted choice for decades of demanding operations." https://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/news/view,classic-top-heavy-load_1979.htm ??
Caterpillar CAT 966C Wheeloader The Caterpillar 930 wheel loader, introduced in the 1960s, was designed for versatile loading, material handling, and construction tasks. Equipped with a powerful diesel engine and robust hydraulics, it offered reliable performance in mining, quarrying, and roadwork CAT 980 B 930 1975 CATERPILLAR 920C CATERPILLAR 920
What are the most iconic models? I think the D7 and D8 for bulldozers, the D983 for crawler loaders, which I think has the D8 50-ton tractor, the 955, the 953 K, and the 941 for crawler loaders, the 950 and the 966 for old wheeled vehicles, and I don't know about excavators( 225) , scrapers, and graders. It's a shame, it's such a prestigious brand. Perhaps a virtual chronological museum with the most significant models would be a good idea for nostalgic Caterpillar owners and earthmoving machinery enthusiasts. Thank you. Sorry if I attached two consecutive messages. Thank you. Caterpillar’s first excavator - Tractor & Machinery The model 225 was Caterpillar’s first excavator, and was instrumental in the company becoming a world leader, as Keith Haddock explains. tractorandmachinery.co.uk The first cat excavator came in 1972! Cat 225. https://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/digger-man/view,cats-first-ever-hydraulic-excavator-the-225_1175.htm https://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/news/view,cat-200-series-memories-throwbackthursday_5198.htm https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/caterpillarNews/2022/traxcavator-turns-70.html
but Nigal you getting old like the rest of us nice day in Pilbara 49+ ,the best thing about platic cab machines none a round any more =