Got a 988 loader with worn brakes, I know they have bladders inside - is it possible to change bladders and pads without removing the wheel and hub?
On a 988a no it's a in bore brake drum it's some work but it's not tier 4 lol
And while you are changing the pads make sure the steel plates are still attached to the bladder and that you install the new pads so they are in the right place to protect the bladder. Oh and don't cheap out replace all those springs! If one breaks and punctures the bladder you have wasted a lot of time and now need new pads again! I do have an old service manual for 988A's so if needed I could scan in some pages if that would help.
Thankyou for the reply - not quite sure if we're on the same page, my brakes are the bladder type. Still learning about this aged loader (as it's older than me!!) but thought that the 988 and 988A were different models? I thought the 988A were the first of the wet brakes.
Thanks for the reply - is there any difference between the 988 and the 988A? I thought the 988A were the first of the wet brakes? I'd love to see the service manual for it if it's the brake type with the bladder in it, as we haven't been able to source any info over here and we haven't been able to find anyone who has ever worked on one. Thanks again, appreciate the help!
The 988B went to outboard wet disc brakes ,no such thing as a 988A . Bob
That is more or less correct Cat never officially refereed to a 988A but it is common for people to use that designation to make clear they are not talking about the 988B or higher letter machines. Send me a private message with an email address, or as this new format calls it "Start a Conversation" and I will scan in some pages on the brakes. Might take a day or two depending on how much Christmas work wife has for me this week!
I'm going to bet 10 bucks you don't have a 988A service book. Bob
Well if you mean one that says 988A on the cover you'd be right! As I said above the "A" was just a common term often used to distinguish that you were talking about the fist generation of many Cat machines. guess when Cat came out with the first generation off many machines they did not take into account that they would be updated at some time. But if one with some sections going as far back a 87A2385 you'd be wrong, And just for kicks there is an "A" in the serial number!