This is a problem that has been around for a few weeks or more. Two different operators have mentioned it. I have never been there to see it first hand. Another problem is we were in the end of season rush to get the tonnage on the ground for winter shut down so could not take it out of service to even do a quick check for codes. There are no active ones showing on monitor. The problem, as it has been described to me, is that once in a while, could be a couple times a day or even a week, while trying to raise boom there will be no reaction to moving the hist lever. Seems like this happens with boom part way up like approaching a truck to load and operator decides he needs to lift a bit more to get over side of haul truck. Operator says sometimes if he work the lever a few times it will then respond and other times if put in lower for a moment then it goes up like normal. I'm hoping to get some time this week to look at it, believe it is down for the season so if I can finish a couple other projects I will find time to look at this one. Thinking first step will be to hook up ET to see if there are any codes related to hydraulic system. Inspect wiring from lift and tilt sensors and those to the main control valve. Maybe run calibration of controls and anything related to the hydraulics I can with ET? The biggest problem I see is this machine may end up parked for two or more months and with it being so intermittent a problem and my retirement date is 4/23/15 may never know if I did cure it! But then the next guy will have to worry about it. Wish I knew who the next guy was going to be so I could at least tell him what was done. I will put notes in my files on it but who knows if anyone will look at them after I leave:beatsme If anyone has seen this kind of problem or has some wild ideas of what I could do let me know. Money is no object as management won't spend it anyhow:Banghead
We have had this problem too, I must ask what it was exactly ,but if I remember correctly it was something with the kickout. Do you guys have the H type with the new controls (knobs on top of the control levers) or the old (g) style? And when it hicks up , the control is dead? I mean you cant pull it in the kickout magnet?
I don't know if it's the same style control but I had a 980g do something similar to that and it was the position sensor for the lift lever. It would come up as an abnormal signal on ET when it did it. It usually did it after stroking the lever all the way to the full lift position .
Not sure what style we have but here's a picture of the controls: This machine did have a new lift sensor installed the end of July, not saying new can't be bad! It will be coming in shop soon to have bucket removed for repairs so I should be able to connect ET at that time. Have to finish up a backhoe control valve on a JD710 first:Banghead
When the new lift sensor was installed was a complete calibration of all the linkage sensors PLUS lever position sensors PLUS the proportional control valves done at the same time. Sometimes if you only calibrate one thing the ECM suddenly doesn't like all the other stored values that have been in there for years - no idea why. It worked fine with those values before ...............
That is the same control as the 980g. It was the lift lever position sensor that was the problem not the lift arm position sensor. It didn't log a code but it would flash an abnormal signal on the status screen on ET. If you let the lever return to neutral and try it again it would usually work.
Yes those are the controls I mean, the "old style" ( like them better than the newer style controls)
Had to check my notes from then, they say lift and tilt sensors were calibrated. So as my first boss in the shop back in 1971 would say, "If it's not in writing, it never happened. Don't care what you might think you remember!" Hope to get some time with this machine before we have to remove the bucket. I will watch ET for any abnormal signals while working the levers. Not sure if I can get to it tomorrow, I'll post anything I do find. Production is shut down for the winter and I can not get a positive answer on when or if I am being laid off. Last December just before Christmas I was told I was off for a short time and would be back Jan. 6th. Never actually got called back till March 3rd!:Banghead Guess the equipment is suppose to heal up on it's own over the winter:beatsme
If the lever position sensors and the main control valve solenoids weren't calibrated at the same time as the lift/tilt position sensors then I would do the whole lot again right from scratch. I usually start with the lever position sensors, then the control valve solenoids, and lastly the linkage sensors. While you're in there I suggest to calibrate the left pedal sensor and the converter IC clutch valve while you're at it. Saves time later.
I did get to work on it a bit today. There were no active or logged codes, other than the ones for the right brake peddle switch. I knew about that and had the new switch on hand so that was taken care of also. For a good size machine working on that tiny switch while laying on the floor under the STIC controls is not the most fun I have had I did do all the calibrations while I was there, unfortunately the problem was not noted while running it and had to remove the bucket for repairs so I won't know till maybe February or even March of next year if I did any good. :beatsme