Hello, I have a C7500 GMC. I have replaced almost every steering component to try and take out the slop in the steering (king pins, links, etc...) I still have a fair amount of play in the wheel wheel when I'm driving down the road. Even with all the new components I still have to "keep on the wheel" pretty good. The only thing I haven't worked on is the steering gear. I took a quick video. In the video I am turning the steering shaft with one hand and and holding the camera in the other. You can see the steering shaft turning without the steering link moving? Is this excessive play? Is it adjustable? Or replace? Thank you
Can you video the same test with the engine running? The control valve in the gear has rotational movement when it opens in both directions.
Here is an updated video of the steering gear with the engine running.
That is a lot of play! is there end play on the sector shaft or output shaft?
The rack gear is shot, common on those boxes.
I’ll check for end play. What do you guys think, just get a rebuilt unit and replace it?
Less headache.
According to CDL pre inspection check list, no more than 10 degrees or 2 inches of play in a 20 inch steering wheel.