Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

99 Hitachi excavator 5 cal hino diesel engine

vogt · 2026-07-15 21:56

have a Hitachi ex 230-5 excavator all fine good machine , never had any starter trouble at all had not started it in about a week , get in it turn key it turns over as usual, will not fire up , good clean fuel , filters recently changed , had no issues at all with it starting fired right up before today , checked fuses , all good , ignition fuse looks good , the key switch seems a little wonky , as it failed to turn off a couple of times in the past , but not recently . any ideas or advice would be appreciated , also has 2 brand new batteries , changed them about a month ago they are hot .

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-07-15 23:15

    If it had issues in the past I'd suspect the key switch. Does it shut off with an electric solenoid? If so maybe it's not working.

  2. #2Simon C2026-07-15 23:25

    Does it have one of those safety relays that tell the starter not to engage if the alternator is running. If they fail you end up with no start. I by passed one for a guy with an old 200 Hitachi, not sure about your wiring schematic. If you post it , we could help. Simon C

  3. #3vogt2026-07-15 23:33

    thank you for y'all response !! I have no electrical diagram yet but I suspect it has to have an electric solenoid cut off by the fuel pump its all mechanical , I will try to disconnect the electric throttle control to work it manually to get a start , I can't seem to find a solenoid looked a bit today was rushed had to abandon it due to rain will try again Friday

  4. #4thepumpguysc2026-07-16 07:14

    U might be on the right path, unfortunately I don’t relate inj pumps to machine models.. So if u could post a picture of the injection pump and s/o solenoid.. I can tell u how to troubleshoot & maybe by-pass the problem.. U can send it to my home email if u can find it.

  5. #5Diesel Dave2026-07-16 09:18

    There is no solenoid , the throttle lever on the injection pump is all controlled by the EC motor (stepping motor). There is a emergency engine shut off cable ( connected to the injection pump shut off lever) below the operator seat on the right hand side. Make sure someone hasn‘t inadvertently pulled it out.

  6. #6John C.2026-07-16 21:57

    So I take it that the engine turns over but does not start? Are you getting any smoke out of the stack? Can you check the throttle position between key off and key on to see of the throttle motor is moving the linkage? Are there any banjo bolts in the supply lines that might have a strainer hidden inside?

  7. #7Simon C2026-07-17 00:08

    If it is turning over then disregard my comments about the safety relay and better be looking as said for smoke and fuel supply as John C has stated. Simon C

  8. #8vogt2026-07-17 21:01

    thank you guys very much for all the knowledge , looked at it a little today , the engine does not smoke when turning over at all no even trying to fire , batteries are hot , I did notice how much travel the linkage is moving and it looks like sometimes it moves with the key turning and sometimes nothing happens , looks like key switch may be giving me some electrical issues there , can I disconnect the ec motor and crank the engine ?

  9. #9John C.2026-07-17 21:29

    It's worth a try, if you still don't get any smoke then I would suspect a fuel supply problem.

  10. #10excavator2026-07-18 13:09

    It's been a while since I've worked on a Hino in a dash 5 but if I remember correctly the Hino has an additional shutdown solenoid mounted on the bellhousing with a rod going to the injection pump.

  11. #11vogt2026-07-20 22:32

    Got it going !!! turns out someone had repaired the fuel line going to pump and it was rubbing on the dipstick tube rubbed a very small hole in the hose ,sucking air replaced it re primed and fired it up !!! thank you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #12excavator2026-07-21 10:11

    Thank you for taking to time to let us know the outcome, it is always appreciated.