Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

99 International 4700 T444e

Rooster87 · 2019-12-18 19:28

Looking to make my little dump truck more enjoyable to drive. It will run good once the she’s rolling but getting it going is the problem.its rated at 190hp, I called international and they will bump the hp up to 210 for $800.00 with the stock turbo and stock injectors. My question is if I would put bigger injectors in like a 180cc stage 1 would it do anything or would I still have to reflash the computer? I’m a little confused by all of this stuff haha thanks in advance!

Replies12
  1. #1Rooster872019-12-22 22:39

    Bump

  2. #2redneckracin2019-12-23 07:04

    I think you would be better off getting rid of the truck as a first option, and swapping the motor to something bigger as a distant second option.....

  3. #3Rooster872019-12-24 23:14

    I like the size of the dump truck is the reason I would like to keep it. Would 20hp make a difference or would I just be throwing my money away?

  4. #4Rooster872019-12-24 23:18

    I have it for sale at my don’t really want to sell it price

  5. #5Crummy2019-12-26 08:20

    Torque gets you going and I don't think you will notice a big difference between the 190/210hp. I looked into going to 230hp when I got mine & I found something online that showed the component differences between the ratings (which I can't find now). The turbo and injectors were different I think, maybe the cam too, I can't remember for sure. I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

  6. #6redneckracin2019-12-26 12:18

    I really don't see 20 hp making much difference. I have 275hp with a dt530E and sometimes I wish it was a little quicker. I think it would be cheaper for me to drop the rear end ratio than put more hp in the motor. I got my second over drive unlocked and it runs faster than I care to go so losing some top speed would be fine by me.

  7. #7Rooster872019-12-26 12:29

    Ok so I just sold the truck. What is a good motor to look for now? I still think I want to stick with medium duty truck under cdl so my workers can drive it.

  8. #8Rooster872019-12-27 22:20

    How about the dt466? Guy is selling a 99 international 4900 dt466 with 323,000 miles for 10,000 bucks. Seems high but in great shape. I don’t like that it’s automatic but gvw is 25,500. Thoughts? Hp is 195 and so was the one I just sold haha so would I be in the same boat? Or different motor different ball game? Thanks

  9. #9Birken Vogt2019-12-27 22:45

    Same thing, call International with the serial number and they will tell you what the motor is good for, also need to find out what the transmission is good for before you do anything.

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-12-28 11:02

    466 has heavier rotating assembly therefore more torque. Is it mechanical pump/line/injector or is it a HEUI ? DTs are super easy to overhaul and very reliable. B series Cummins would be the next power plant I would look for. Comparable torque and horsepower. More options on Cummins than IH. My F750 service truck is 230hp Cummins/Allison combo , struggles to climb a mild grade and I'm 25.5k I couldn't imagine dragging a trailer behind me.

  11. #11NepeanGC2020-01-02 16:23

    I have a 195hp dt466 in a single axle dump. Truck is happy at 35-40k gross, and will do 45-50, albeit slowly. I would never describe the truck as peppy...even empty, but it should be reliable long term.

  12. #12Rooster872020-01-04 21:16

    Hope everybody had a good holiday! Still looking for a truck. The dt466 I was looking at was mechanical fuel pump. Also found a 96 gmc top kick with the cummins motor. I’m looking for a 250-300hp motor even if I have to get a cdl truck. My dad has a cat c13 and I hauled heaping bed Full’s of shell the last couple days. So much fun to drive with all that power haha