Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A Bad day in Loader Land

dcara ยท 2009-09-26 20:18

I was repositioning to finish off a tree and trying to figure out a sound that had just started when suddenly there was engine smoke every where. I shut it down and grabbed the fire extinguisher and hopped down. Fresh oil was coating the engine and I think it was coming out of the breather. I cheched the engine oil and I was about a quart low. I was only about half a quart low when I started the day 30 minutes earlier. I cranked it again and now there was a noticeable knock. The engine labored hard for about 5 seconds and died. I took off both oil filters and poured them onto a cleaned spot on some metal and then into a rag looking for any metal shavings. The only thing I think I might have seen is a very fine brass looking dust. Not alot, I could just catch a glimpse of a sparkle from time to time. Assuming the worst, does anyone know where I could find a rebuilt motor for a 78 model Komatsu D31S-16, sn 26253 near Greenville or Dallas Texas? Any ideas would also be appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1heavylift2009-09-27 01:20

    there used to be a bone yard near Kansas City.... The last time I was up that way It was pretty much gone...I was about 1 mile square area.... now it's about a football field.... High scrap prices last year must have looked better than parting machines I don't know if the one out Dodge City is still there ... but I think it was mostly Cat blades, old blades... Might check around with local quarries , contractors... sometimes stuff is just parked... too old... too expensive to fix...

  2. #2alan627b2009-09-27 02:12

    Machinerytrader.com...used machines, parts search and here is the dismantled list for your model. Hope this helps, Alan627b http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...x=exact&GUID=799142A771564DB2AD15A06E68623A78

  3. #3special tool2009-09-27 13:31

    Not brass, copper. Its a main or a rod bearing. Sorry.

  4. #4dcara2009-09-27 21:51

    So does anyone have any idea what a 70hp replacement motor will cost and/or a guess at labor hours to replace?

  5. #5QuickTrax2009-09-27 22:11

    dcara, Look up Frontier Tractor. They are out of Coldspring, Tx. They are really big into parting machines out. I don't have the # for them so google them.

  6. #672ih3542009-11-06 15:14

    dcara Give Kent Baugh a shout at 903-639-2765. There seemto be very few dismantlers parting out machines this small, but this is his specialty. Maybe he will have just what you need. Hope this helps. Scott @ Artec