Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A BIG Green Thingummy.

Deas Plant ยท 2007-09-09 02:22

Hi, Folks. I suspect that I might be getting a little old and frail in my dotage and that my eyesight may be failing me. I thought I saw a BIG GREEN THINGUMMY on a float in a yard near home yesterday. I took some photos of it which I am posting here in the hope that some of you might be able to convince me that my eyes wuzn't playing tricks on me. Did I REALLY see this jigger and is it what I think it is? I also thought I heard the man saying that this GREEN thing was going to Rockhampton, Queensland, DownUnder, to a collector who apparently has enough 'ready' to be able to 'spirit' such delectable little gems out of faraway places. Our gain - 'Top-sider's' loss. I might add that there is a D11R tractor in the workshop behind the GREEN thing which is just 30 hp short of being twice as powerful as the GREEN thing.

Replies64
  1. #1alco2007-09-09 03:48

    I love it, thanks Deas. Now I know I am going to show my ignorance here, but is it a Terex 82-80, or a Euclid TC-12? I don't know what the differences are to tell them apart. Thanks Brian

  2. #2RonG2007-09-09 07:05

    Now which end of that thing does the blade go on?I forgot!!!LOLOLOLOLRon G

  3. #3580bruce2007-09-09 11:03

    Thanks for the pics!Iwould love to see one of those.-With a full blade!

  4. #4DR RPM2007-09-09 11:20

    I think you are right Brian, looks like a Euc 12. My dad ran one years and years ago, part of why his hearing is gone now.

  5. #5Lashlander2007-09-09 13:32

    Looks like a fixer upper. Nice find. I've spent a lot of hours on an 82-50. It required ear plugs and headphones.

  6. #6Tn Bulldog2007-09-09 13:40

    never ran a terex or Euclid dozer w/ the screamin jimmy motor BUT Have drove trucks & ran other equipment (trackhoe's , rollers, RT Loaders, etc ) Im 32 & for round 20 plus yrs now since my dad & granddad put me on a machine by my self round8 or 9yrs old ive found myself STRIGHTPIPING 2stroke Detroit motors in my eailer years . now i find myself having people repeat thierself cause i couldnt understand them if i had to do over again id leave those mufflers alone but i miss my 85' chevy 3/4 ton p/u w/ 471T Detroit w/ 6" strightpipes i & my buddy built in his dad's shop when we were 16 yrs old i paid $1500.00 for the truck by the time i was 26 someone offered me $8,000.00 for it & i sold it i wish i didnt now wish i had it back . later yall Bulldog

  7. #7OneWelder2007-09-09 18:07

    Very Rare Machine! I have only seen one once and that was stripped for scrap If thats the the one that was on E-Bay a while ago he probaly paid a lot more for fright than he did for the machine (do not now actual selling price, mid way thru there was little activity-with low price) and must be a very serious collector

  8. #8DPete2007-09-09 19:56

    Yep, that's 2 C6's put together, AKA "double trouble"

  9. #9alco2007-09-09 21:03

    I do know that these were designed and built as a single machine from the start. They are not, as some people think, two C6s put together. Brian

  10. #10surfer-joe2007-09-09 22:03

    Euclid C12, early version with the cable control. They actually were little more than two C6 chassis's bolted together. I wonder what that fella is going to do with it?

  11. #11Lashlander2007-09-09 23:14

    I'd say irritate the neighbors!

  12. #12Construct'O2007-09-10 01:23

    A company named Nelson Construction of Onawa,Ia. had several TC12's.One of them had a 21 ft. dozer on it that they used it on the fill behind the scrapers.Don't know where all them went ,but if you see a white one it just might have been one of theirs. All there equipment was painted white.The reasoning behind it was that they use to work nightshifts and they could see the equipment better after dark.I was told?? The TC12 was good pushers,but wasn't the best for the mud they didn't have very much clearence and high centered easly.In good dirt they was fast and could counter rotate when turning to pick up scrapers.The 82-50 had a lot more clearence. The S32 scraper i run,we use to call them great white elphants because of there size and being white.Plus when you got it stuck in the mud thats kind of how you felt

  13. #139Axle2007-09-13 23:22

    green machine I hauled 1 of them there green machines from colfax ca.to the port of oakland bound for Australia,maybe same one.ran good loaded nice

  14. #14OneWelder2007-12-05 19:43

    Here is A Chance for Somebody ! http://cgi.ebay.com/Terex-82-80- Do...ryZ97121QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  15. #15wethead2007-12-17 23:10

    Ok - Now , I al for sure convinced that ebay has everything When I first opened this thread and saw the machine, I went WOW ... But then when I saw there was actually one on ebay, I went double wow....for some reason every time, I see an old machine, I think wow, that thing did some work.....

  16. #16tsamoo52007-12-21 13:38

    would like to see the machine in action.

  17. #17RollOver Pete2007-12-21 20:33

    Is this what you're lookin for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmM3xOql6_k Here's some that I made... http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0A997664D3294157

  18. #18bigpete2007-12-22 00:46

    Thanks for the Web sites ROP,enjoyed them both. Nice to see the 8 ,very smooth. Good to see you giving your daughter a run."Not enough "Shielas "getting a chance to gain experence in our line of work. Good to see an old C12 again havent seen one since 1966. Tried to wear one out back then,reccollections are they where to wide,to slow and didnt have enough blade lift(height)&reach for our job which was "Breaking out" new roads in steep rocky virgin country. Always enjoy your comments cheers.

  19. #19Mike2007-12-22 14:14

    Thingy Looks like a Euclid TC 12 avery rare machine especially in your part of the world I believe there was only four of them in the Australia /New Zeland area .I maybe wrong on this but I know that very few were exported to these parts.

  20. #20bigpete2007-12-23 07:25

    Thingy Yeah Mike, That one (TC12) of "DOWNER CONSTRUCTION"s on the road job at Cambridge in 65-66 was the only working one i have anything to do with or even seen on a job down this way. There were plenty of C6s arround in that era. The TC12 was easily outperformed by both TD25s and D8Hs on both ripping& pushing and wasnt in the race in breaking out on steep hard country. I would have been embarased working a TC12 longside a D9. CHEERS:drinkup

  21. #21RDG2007-12-24 07:17

    Big green thingummy According to a book about Clyde Engineering in NZ who were the Euclid agents at the time there were 6x TC 12s sold in NZ and were some of the first sold outside of the USA. I do remember Feast & McJorrow from Wellington had 1 as did **** Collis from Southland.

  22. #22Deas Plant2007-12-24 07:38

    Big Green Thingummys sold in Australia. Hi, RDG. Welcome to the forum. I don't know about numbers sold in NZ but I have been told by a man who has green blood in his veins and even, I suspect, green tinea between his toes (LOL), that there were 6 of them sold new in Australia. I know of at least one more that came to Australia earlier this year to become part of a collection up near Rockhampton, in Central Queensland.

  23. #23Cat-Peter2008-01-05 17:20

    Sweeeeeeeeeeeet sound Really love them green machines! Would love to hear the howl of Detroit on full revs! Can't get enough of it,sadly they are very rare here! Gives me goosebumps just thinking of it! Peter

  24. #24DaveC2008-01-07 12:28

    I find the TC-12 a fascinating machine! Just one question that always bugs me, but never had an answer....what happens to the operational performance of the machine when one of the Jimmy 6-71N`s is down on power compared to its partner? How much deviation is allowed on full power of both units before the machine fails to perform properly? I always imagine when you have two of the same mated together, you get double the chance of things going wrong. I know where one is located here in the UK which is in retirement. It has a massive coal pusher blade on it. Hopefully, I will get to see it this year. Cheers, Dave:

  25. #25Deas Plant2008-01-08 07:56

    Euclid TC12 - Terex 82-80 - One engine down on power. Hi, DaveC. I have never run either of these jiggers but I understand that both have separate throttles for each engine. In the event that one engine was a bit 'soft', I imagine that you be able to operate with the other engine throttled back to match. I also understand that throttling one engine up and the other down was ONE of about four ways of steering the beasts. Steering clutches and brakes, one track in high and one in low or one in forward and one in reverse are the other ways, unless some people have been pulling my leg. Can anyone confirm or deny this, please.

  26. #26digger242j2008-08-09 20:34

    Okay, all you TC-12 fans--here's what one looks like when it's all put together. It was at the HCEA show in Brownsville PA today (discussed elsewhere on HEF). I thought I'd put the TC-12 pics here though. I honestly have to say, of all the iron I saw at the show, I liked this one best.

  27. #27DPete2008-08-09 21:04

    They did a beautiful job fixin her up, great pics. Thanks

  28. #28Dozer5752008-08-09 21:35

    I just wish cat and komatsu would notice the nice offset seat to the left of the machine. And how the fella can actually see and watch the blade. Never run one but it looks like a nice machine to blade with if it had hydraulics.

  29. #29digger242j2008-08-09 21:47

    I don't know how much of a restoration was done on it. For all I know that might be in original condition. (I doubt tthat of course, but it sure looks like it could be.) As far as the seat being offset, I also don't know whether it carries through to the actual operator's station, but the two halves of the machine clearly pivot up and down along it's centerline. You can see it in the second pic--the left and right sides of the back end aren't lined up, and the drawbar is mounted to only the one side. It really looks like it could have been two machines, joined at the hip...

  30. #30qball2008-08-09 22:20

    good golly, so ugly it's pretty. i want one for mowing pasture.

  31. #31Deas Plant2008-08-09 22:33

    Euclid TC12 dozer. Hi, Digger 242j. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. They were certainly a beast in their day. I have so far not been that close to one working. Thanks again.

  32. #32OCR2008-08-10 00:04

    Euclid TC12 dozer. And that's probably why you can still hear the little bit you can still hear... And I know some of that is " selective ".........:lmao And yes... I was close up and personal with a C6/8230... 6-71... for a couple thousand hours... used both ear plugs and muffs. I thought it was a decent dozer... just a tad to big and front heavy for us. It had a full U on the front and a winch on back... wouldn't back up hill very good. Regards, OCR He probably can't see this either... so... ha,ha,ha...on that crack about his hearing.

  33. #33Deas Plant2008-08-10 00:23

    My Hearing. Hi, OCR. My hearing loss is due to long association with many types of earthmoving machinery, including an 82-30 AND an 82-40 - and a D9G in a tunnel 16 feet wide that started out at 16 feet deep and ended at 24 feet deep. You just can't get away from the noise in there. I liked both the 82-30 and the 82-40 with the latter being the better balanced. Both were pretty reliable too. Just my 0.02.

  34. #34OCR2008-08-10 02:31

    Your Hearing... My Vision: Yup, know exactly what you're saying Deas, And I couldn't pass my CDL medical, last week, with out getting glasses... Take care, OCR Oh... what engine did the 82-40 have... 8v-71??

  35. #35Deas Plant2008-08-10 03:38

    82-40 'donk' Hi, OCR. Yep, a screaming 'Jimmy' V8-71 - and it could work too. Trouble was, everybody for miles around knew it if you pulled up for a pitstop, if you get my drift. I can still read plans, etc., in good light without glasses and there's no notation on my driver's license. Maybe there oughta be but not necessarily for glasses. I seem to have a problem where no matter what boots I buy, the right one always weighs more than the left. LOL. (We may drive on the RIGHT side of the vehicle but the various pedals are still under the same feet.)

  36. #36stretch2008-08-11 18:39

    I definitely heard why the operator had earmuffs on...but that beast was quite a machine to see. Pics tomorrow, my computer doesn't want to upload anything today. :bash

  37. #37Paystar2008-08-11 21:03

    Wow awesome pics. Even if they weren't the greatest, you still have to appreciate those. They sure weren't copy cats, that's for sure. Well I guess this would be a good time to post these pics. I was working at David Bell Mine up near Marathon, Ontario a few years back. Came out of my motel room and there it was on a float. It was coming from British Columbia, but I can't remember where it was going. It was going to be used though, the float driver told me, and it ran and was driven onto the float. I do remember he said it was very heavy even without the blade and ripper.:notworthy:notworthy

  38. #38Paystar2008-08-11 21:14

    more pics

  39. #39DPete2008-08-11 21:57

    That's a big yellow Thingummy

  40. #40Paystar2008-08-11 22:47

    Ya, but if you look real close you can see some green paint in the crevises where they missed with the yellow!:drinkup

  41. #41Wyoming2008-11-22 17:19

    Contrary to popular belief the Euclid TC-12 was not two C6 crawlers put together. The TC-12 from the onset was designed as a twin engine split frame machine. The first TC-12 prototype started its engineering evaluation in July 1954 with the production model being introduced October 1956. Below pics is a C6, radiator is in the front. The C6 was powerd by a 671 Jimmy.

  42. #42Deas Plant2008-11-22 19:36

    C6 - radiator in front?????????????? Hi, Wyoming. You are right about the TC12 not being 2 x C6's 'siamesed'. It WAS designed to be a twin-engined tractor from the ground up, right from day one of the project. I would how-wevver beg to differ with you about the C6 having the radiator in the front. I could be wrong but I don't think Euclid while it was Euclid ever built a front-radiatored crawler. Here are some more photos of the jiggers.

  43. #43Wyoming2008-11-22 20:03

    I was just going from the pics I posed I have never even seen one. Your pics do seem to show vent holes in the back of the tractor, where was the fuel tank? How did the radiator fan work, was it electric or what?

  44. #44Iron Horse2008-11-22 20:20

    It would be hydraulic i would imagine .

  45. #45Dominion 4102008-11-22 21:56

    Green Iron Sure like the pic's of the green stuff.My dad and uncles had their share of both Euclid and Terex loaders and a very memorable 82-40 dozer.The rad,oil cooler and fuel tank were located in the rear,hydraulic tank front mounted.The fan was shaft driven via the accessorie drive on the rear of the engine.The shaft was supported on pillow-block style bearings,and ran under the floor board to the fan drive.The one they owned had a semi-U rock blade with hydraulic tilt.I remember moving it around in their yard when I was about fifteen years old,sure remember the sound of that 8v71.Big, front heavy old pig,but it sure could work.It was good in a rock fill and could really level a dump site even if there was a couple hundred loads to push.There is a Euclid TC-12 that is being restored about three hours away from here.According to the owner it will be ready next summer-definitely seeing that in action.

  46. #46Deas Plant2008-11-22 22:16

    Fan Drive. Hi, Wyoming. If it was anythiong like the TC12 on which I understand it was modelled, it had a shaft drive coming back from the engine. The TC12's had two shafts coming back to the fans, one from each 'donk'. Somewhere, I have some photos showing these shafts. I will attempt to un-bury them and post one or two here - sometime soon.

  47. #47Deas Plant2008-11-23 06:15

    Photos posted. Hi, Folks. I have just posted some photos of the fan drives and other details over at the other 'Big Green Iron' thread: Enjoy. That's an order. LOL.

  48. #48Deas Plant2008-11-23 07:27

    Co-Wreck-Shunn. Hi, Folks. Co-Wreck-Shunn. That link should leed to the Euclid TC12 Dozer thread here: Have fun. Try not to get lost.

  49. #49FatCatGotHot2008-11-24 14:28

    Equalizer Bar?? Hi folks, a little question for you: While the TC 12/82-80 had no equalizer bar, but the splitted frame design, how was the situation with the single engine Euclid/Terex crawlers? Did they have oscillating track frames and an equalizer bar like other crawlers?

  50. #50OCR2008-11-24 19:44

    C6/82-30's: Here's a couple pictures of 82-30's in the Mechanical Logging thread... Including, the one we had... good old dozer. I still might have some of my manuals for it... I'll rummage around a little, and see if I can find any. OCR

  51. #51malcolm2008-11-25 01:59

    green machines got some kiwi photos will post soon

  52. #52Someguy2008-12-17 15:20

    They ran a shaft under the seat if I remember correctly. And 82-30s had an 8-71, not a 6-71 as someone stated earlier.

  53. #53greeniron2008-12-17 17:35

    Someguy , the 82-30 had the 6-71 GM , THE 82-40 HAD THE 8-71 however that machine was upgraded to the 82-30B which had the 8V-71T

  54. #54Someguy2008-12-17 18:09

    Are you sure ? I don't know if it was an 82-30 or an 82-30B, but it had an 8-71. I don't recall it being a turbo. I do know someone who knows though... I'll be seeing him at Christmas.

  55. #55wally86302010-05-09 00:31

    Does anyone know if there was a Terex 82-50 or any Terex model of a pusher dozer made?

  56. #56malcolm2010-05-09 00:54

    kiwi photos kiwi photos

  57. #57245dlc2010-05-09 01:22

    The Euclid TC-12 or later on 82-80 when they became Terex. It had 2 Detroit 6-71's and each engine was attached to its own Allison CRT 5530 Torqmatic transmission. The radiators were mounted on the back which when you think about it isn't so bad as they're farther away from dust and dirt. When it was first released it had a combined gross 388 horsepower. And an operating weight of 58,100 pounds, when the final series came out the TC-12-2 it had a combined gross 476 horsepower and an operating weight of 73,000 pounds minus attachments. I've have had the once in a lifetime chance to see one operating about five years ago in Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada at the Reynold's Museum when the HCEA put a show on. They had one there I'm assuming restored cause it looked absolutely beautiful with a cushion type dozer blade for push loading scrapers and I got to hear those screaming Jimmy 6-71's. I have some pictures to I posted somewhere. There is a good book to read about Euclid/Terex by Eric C. Orlemann called Euclid and Terex Earth-Moving Machines. It's quite fascinating to read and even has a part about their experimental machines they almost got into manufacturing track loaders as well did some work for the American military. http://www.amazon.ca/Euclid-Terex-E...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273382898&sr=8-1

  58. #58CATD7R2010-05-09 15:02

    great photos malcolm

  59. #59turbo87812010-05-09 16:08

    in the 3rd pic that looks like an allis chalmers out in front ither a 16 or a 21 ?

  60. #60alan627b2010-05-09 17:14

    Wally8630, here are a few links to check out. http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productListmanufacturer.aspx?manufacturer=EMD Series M TC12 pushcat http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productdetail.aspx?recid= 9527 http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productListoem.aspx?oem=Euclid http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productdetail.aspx?recid= 14060 http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productdetail.aspx?recid= 12591 http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/productdetail.aspx?recid= 5638 They aren't cheap, but they are out there. Alan

  61. #61malcolm2010-05-14 02:58

    kiwi photos Good spotting Turbo on the right in the third pic is a hd16 with a td25 pulling the onions scoop (or pan) talking about green things any one remember these ones cheers malcolm

  62. #62Aussie John2010-05-15 20:12

    Here is a TC12 which has been restored and housed at the Dardanup Museum at Dardanup in the south west region of West Australia. I was lucky to attend on the annual working day in February several years ago with a lot of equipment being demonstrated. The small dozer in the foreground is an English built Ransomes. In the last photo, you can almost hear the howling and feel the 6-71s working. This museum is certainly worth a visit as it also features a large range of IH tractors (just about every crawler up to a TD24) and a working steam powered saw mill. Also have heard that there was another one sitting in a paddock in the Toowoomba region near Westbrook. John

  63. #63Diggerdozer2010-06-25 01:27

    Tc 12 Aussie john do you have any more ideas on the TC 12 around Toowoomba I live around 600 kms away but would love to round one up f you have any ideas perhaps email to [email protected] it would sit well with a few other bigger toys like a D9 d etc thanks Chester

  64. #64JDOFMEMI2010-07-01 23:25

    Not a TC-12, but I cam accross a good video today of an 82-80, which is the successor to it. Good sound on it to, turn it up. YouTube - Terex 82-80