Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A blast from the past

Vetech63 · 2025-09-19 16:42

I found this in my menagerie of tools when I was cleaning on of my sheds out. Do any you young guys know what it is? You old guys don't give it away yet.....dont cheat and use Google either lol

Replies24
  1. #1chidog2025-09-19 18:06

    I'm an old guy and I have no idea. Is it used to "T". I'll leave it at that for now.

  2. #2Simon C2025-09-19 18:15

    From what I see, it must be used to measure push rod travel ( Cummins ) or Fuel rack travel. Maybe I am wrong. Will wait for others to respond. Simon C

  3. #3Junkyard2025-09-19 19:55

    Whatever it is I want it lol. Cummins timing tool if memory serves. Or something to that affect. Either way I’d be interested. Also, since they’re in such high demand I’m claiming any Detroit tools you’re getting rid of….haha

  4. #4chidog2025-09-20 02:48

    Being so dirty at the one side throws me. Piston position or timing. the "T"

  5. #5John Shipp2025-09-20 03:08

    Whatever it is, it looks a lot of fun. Finicky to set up...

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-09-20 07:52

    Cummins timing tool for 855 perhaps others.

  7. #7chidog2025-09-20 23:13

    I've settled on a cummins 855 timing tool. I've never had that sort of luxury, just a bunch of indicators.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-09-21 01:10

    It's definitely some kind of thing-ama-jig.

  9. #9Vetech632025-09-21 09:30

    You are correct! You are correct also!

  10. #10JD955SC2025-09-21 09:54

    I was figuring you had long since forgotten what it was for and was trying to trick an answer out of the other wizened greybeards LOL

  11. #11Truck Shop2025-09-21 09:59

    I did as you asked.

  12. #12BC Placer gold2025-09-21 10:13

    Kinda what I was thinking!

  13. #13BC Placer gold2025-09-21 10:15

    The combined wisdom on this forum is certainly humbling!

  14. #14Truck Shop2025-09-21 10:19

    Bar engine in normal rotation, till both gauges are rotating same direction, find TDC on cylinder indicator set at zero, rotate past 90* TDC in rotation, set injector dial indicator at zero, rotate back to TDC in reverse rotation, watching piston dial keep rotating in reverse rotation till it indicates .250 thousands travel, stop, turn engine back in normal rotation till gauge reads .203-stop. Read injector pushrod travel gauge. * Do it in my sleep, sometimes.

  15. #15Vetech632025-09-21 11:12

    I figured you sleep with one of these under your pillow

  16. #16Truck Shop2025-09-21 11:20

    Wife didn't like oil stains on pillow case.

  17. #17chidog2025-09-21 16:41

    Now why is it so grungy looking? Like its never been oiled or cleaned? Just curious.

  18. #18Vetech632025-09-21 17:09

    Surprised me too. Its not as bad as it looks but the humidity has got to it over the years of being stored in my shed.

  19. #19Truck Shop2025-09-21 22:19

    That one you have--OTC? I have two, a Central in blue case and a Monaco. Why I need two I don't really know. *

  20. #20Vetech632025-09-22 08:41

    Mine is a Master MTC

  21. #21Welder Dave2025-09-22 15:34

    Judging by your knowledge of 855's I'd expect both are well used. Maybe used at the same time on 2 different engines.

  22. #22Truck Shop2025-09-22 17:56

    I ended up with the extra by fluke, neither one will get much use in future.

  23. #23chidog2025-09-22 17:56

    Nice and shiny. They can be kept under the pillow.

  24. #24Greatwestcam2025-09-28 11:25

    Last time I used one was on a ISX 871 for premature oil filter plugging issue. There is a procedure to check the injector cam timing and make corrections by changing it with a different degree wedge. there were 3 wedges from 4.25, 4.5, 4.75 degree's . only got to do it a few times.