Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A “Carlisle” grader for graderfan

rayman ยท 2016-08-16 20:12

Here you are G-F.

Replies6
  1. #1rayman2016-08-16 20:24

    I drove one of those machines back in the 1950's in N.Z. It was a" Galion 104" built under license in England, Oliver transmission with a Leyland "Comet" engine, they were distributed in N.Z. by "International Harvester N.Z."

  2. #2Graderfan19812016-08-18 17:41

    Thank you so much and for the informations. I like to see those old photo.

  3. #3OzDozer2017-03-16 11:09

    Rayman, not sure if you're still about - but I stumbled over this old post. Here's a photo of a Carlisle motor grader, sitting on a Foden 8 wheeler lorry, in ye olde England! I never knew these graders existed and I've never seen one in the metal. We had plenty of Galion graders here in West Oz, they were the "cheap option" for the local Shire Councils when those councils decided they couldn't afford a Cat grader! The photo comes from the British Blackwood Hodge website. There's enough Pommy iron of dubious value there, to keep you reminiscing for a while! http://blackwood-hodge.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55079f731883401bb0951ec18970d-pi http://blackwood-hodge.typepad.com/home/2016/11/index.html

  4. #4Queenslander2017-03-16 16:29

    Interesting load restraint they have there Ozdozer. We also had a brief discussion on the Carlisle here. HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5rayman2017-03-23 19:49

    howaryagoin there ron, I bet that "flyin foden was powered ?? by the mighty FD6 2stroke p.o.s. those engines were on a par with the Leyland O.P. 2stroke. both the Leyland L6 and foden FD6 and 8, 2strokes were taken up by R-R for some unknown reason. I had no idea that the Huber-Warco was built in Aus. The ones I grew up with were ex U.S. services left behind in N.Z. There were several "Carlisle" graders went to W.A. 11 sold to S.A. and used at Radium hill, a uranium mine up near broken hill. From what I have found a lot went to Africa, they would be in good company with those dreadfull "Vickers-Vigor" A.K.A. VR180 crawlers. Poor old poms shoulda stayed in steam. and whats the difference between a lorry and a truck???please

  6. #6cuttin edge2017-03-24 09:14

    I wonder if you would get away with that kind of tie down today?