It started with the orange/black cabover freightliner and snowballed from there. Current count is 5 trucks and growing...
Additional pictures of hobby-turned-disease. Couple more shots of collection. One picture with the green/yellow cabover Peterbilt; that's my buddy's 1980 352 110" cabover, beautiful truck. The 1963 Autocar I own my other buddy drove 130 miles from here to New Hampshire and back to a show that day, while I hauled the Transtar on the 1966 Fruehauf 15 ton lowbed I found in the weeds in upstate New York recently. I have a pair of Autocars; the 1963 A64B with a 250 Cummins/13 speed, and the 1972 S64B with a 318 detroit/13 speed. The '81 cabover FL has a 3406A/380 Cat/15 DO, 44K rears double frame. 1973 Transtar on the lowbed; 318 Detroit, 13 speed...131,800 ORIGINAL miles. That's for sale too, BTW: $6,500.00 OBRO. Exceptional condition for a 40 yr. old truck, needs a good, caring home preferably indoors. ,
Awesome trucks Low Boy. Especially like the old Autocars . There used to be a cabillion transtars on the road but you rarely see one now. don't sell it you know you will kick yourself in the backside after! keep up the good work we need to save all these old pieces of iron. Martin:drinkup
I remember, there was more Transtars than anything 30 years ago Mr Plow...but they've vanished. This one is exceptional, but I have to make room for another piece that I can actually USE to make money with... This is my next venture. A '78 W900A with a 26' rollback that I could use right this minute if I had it here; but I have to accumulate a few more frogskins first, lol...:drinkup
Boy, that old transtar is nice. If it was a tandem, I'd probably come get it for me, and only me, to pull a lowboy with. My father had 5 of them in the early '70s, and that is the first truck I ever rode in. I still own a '77 Loadstar that is the first truck I ever drove. He bought that new in '77. On the subject of lowboys, I have a 1953 Fruehauf just like that one, that was given to me by the original owner. If you ever notice Phelan lowboys look just it, it's because they bought Freuhauf out of the lowboy business. I also own the absolutely last Freuhauf dump trailer ever built, which I bought brand new.
How do you find all of these awesome trucks? I can see why you want to get rid of the International. Like you say you could make some $$$ with this. I used to have an old tandem fleet star that I hauled my own water with. It had a 26' flat deck with a grain body and hoist. Strapped a water tank on when I needed it. That was a great truck! 671 Detroit and 4 and 4 spicer transmission. Beautiful country in Vermont ! Looks like you could get a fair bit of snow, my old Oshkosh would fit right in LOL. Wish you luck on your venture
Good looking trucks. I think that truck is suited for pulling or carrying heavy equipment.
Here's a hobby that can get spendy fast! Nice looking collection! Hope you get the KW soon. I love the looks of the Transtars... There's a single axle, daycab one sitting in a lot an hour away from me and I keep saying I should ask if they'd sell it. There's also an older (60's?) single axle tractor I can only see the a**-end of that might be fun. Storage (and $$) is the issue. I live on the wet side of our state...
You could always stretch it and make it a tandem Mitch...LOL. I'd love to see someone take this and care for it as I would...it's a diamond in the rough that with a paint job would be a real gem. I'm confident that there's not many left that survived time in this shape here. If I didn't have that rollback in my crosshairs, I wouldn't even think about selling this Transtar at all...it's a bittersweet situation. That lowboy was a find too. The guy had it since 1993. He put all new tires on, and redid the brakes and decking back then, used it 3 times and decided it wasn't long enough and stuffed it in the yard. He did move it back and forth every year to keep things loosened up, which was to my advantage. Fruehauf was always a favorite of mine, especially the later model bathtub dumps. I liked the fact they used Propar axles, all the same size bearings in and out, etc. I'm hoping somebody on here notices this Transtar, and will feel the love. I had it on eBay and got a lot of lookers/watchers, but no serious ones. Some IH fan should really look hard at that truck for their own collection.
Spendy's the understatement of the year, hahahaha. But on the flip side of that...I've had snowmobiles that cost me more than one or two of these trucks I have, and could only use those things when there was snow; I can play with these year-round. Sunday I'm going to take the 81 Freightliner and the old lowboy and go pick up my "new" JCB backhoe I just found and get it home. Immediately putting the hoe to work once it hits the dooryard; I sold a Freightliner Airliner suspension cutoff here, and have to use the hoe to load that on a guy's trailer...nice to utilize the iron!
Please, let's not be talking about snow and Oshkosh's right now Mr Plow....waaaaaay too much to do before that stuff comes, LOL...! Thank you for the compliments. I enjoy tinkering more than working. hahahaha. I have two 20' storage boxes I am trying to get home from an hour away. One I can back my old lowboy right up to, jack it up high enough to get a roller of some sorts under the front and then either back under it, or come-a-long it the rest of the way on. The other one, I can't get to with the big truck. I am going crazy trying to get a guy that will accept the huge task (cough, ahhhem,) of backing up to it, raising the bed, hooking a cable to and winch it on and throw 2 straps over it. I get frustrated with people that make a mountain out of a mole hill. That is the primary reason for me to get this Transtar sold, and get that KW rollback in the fleet, because I would have had both these boxes home and on the blocks already, half-full of parts and pieces, without breaking a sweat. The guy that currently owns the KW was supposed to do this job for me in exchange for a 3406B Cat oilpan I gave him...but suddenly the truck blew a hydro hose for the winch. If I wanted to go down there (30 miles) and fix it, I could use the truck. Then, he said it's not registered, and no insurance was the next excuse. I will solve this problem soon. Instead of fixing the winch hose for $50.00. I'll just buy the stinking truck and get it over with, LOL. The old saying goes, "If you want something DONE, you gotta do it YOURSELF"...story of my life.
I also have a heavy duty rollback, you'll find it to be handier than a shirt pocket.
I hear you....! Can't wait to get that thing. I have a LOT of ideas how I can utilize that thing around here.
Cool collection LowBoy! My father & I have the same disease with old trucks & equipment.From what the doctors say there is no known cure So may as well keep adding to & restoring the collection
I've tried to get help for it too, but the only cure is to buy "one more"...
9/15/13, brought the "new" JCB hoe home to it's final retirement place. It was a picture-perfect day for a Sunday ride from Vermont to Ludlow, Mass. (1.5 hour one way,) in a vintage 1981 Cabover Freightliner, pulling a vintage 1966 Fruehauf Lowbed for sure. Sun was out, a little nip in the air indicating what's coming around the corner...and big, white fluffy clouds made for a pretty nice day to be alive, and fortunate enough to be able to own and enjoy a few old antiques that make all this craziness I put myself through, seem worth while. I've been wanting to find an older hoe to use for everything from lifting heavy stuff to moving snow for many years that I could pay cash for, and finally that day came today as I rolled into the dooryard with this 1984 JCB 3C1400 on the deck. It needs some tinkering, but all in all, a real nice find for what I need it for around the farm here. I will peck away at things until she's complete again. First priority is to weatherize the cab, with plexiglass in the rear side windows, an aftermarket heater, and an am/fm radio with hi-fidelity sound...lol. I yanked a complete head (minus turbo and aftercooler,) off a 3406B Cat last weekend and sold it to a guy, and did it by myself because he just had a brand new heart difibulator installed a couple days prior, and he couldn't hardly walk, let alone carry half of that head. Sooo, I just turned up the crazy and bulled into it like many other times I needed to move something that weighed more than me, and got it into his pickup without leaving any of my lower body parts on the ground.By looking at me, you wouldn't believe it if you didn't witness it, but that's the way it goes when you're a one-man army. I've been fortunate throughout my lifetime with all the outrageous things I've had to accomplish all alone, to still maintain a strong back, and a weak mind still to this day somehow.Even after a near death experience on a snowmobile a few years ago, coming out of a broken neck and forearm with better-than-expected results, I can still git-er-done. Being north of 50 yrs. old now...I think it's time I start thinking about backing off of the "stand back and watch this" syndrome, and start using some more conventional methods to lift and carry things of girth, before I end up in a hospital bed in traction,drinking from a Crazy Straw, blinking once for YES, twice for NO...Hence, the JCB hoe. Plans are to build a jib to bolt into the bucket to reach out and touch things, like that cylinder head. Anyways, here's some pics of today's mission. Ms. Piggy (cabover FL,) did it again; another mission completed without a hitch, ran like a charm, enjoyed every minute of it as usual. I wish the new stuff would run as good and trouble free as these old ones do. I'll have to do 2-3 posts to fit the pics I took today...√
second set of pics from 9-15-13 1963 A64B, hooked to 1966 Lowbed after disconnecting from 1981 Freightliner Cabover today. Getting Autocar ready for next Saturday; ATHS show in Ballston Spa, New York 9-21 and 9-22-13.
3rd set of pics, 9-15-13... This is it, I promise... Just a good day for pictures with the weather and all.:thumbsup
Man I would love to have an old tractor trailer to play with, I would prefer an old R model mack though. I wouldn't change a thing with your trailer, just want a tandem. Do you have them registered as antiques? Keep posting the pics!!!
I wish it was a tandem too nedly, but that's what was around in the 60's. It was a former NYS Thruway lowbed brand new. I used it Sunday 9/15/13 to bring my backhoe home, it worked slick as a whistle. Yes, they're registered antique, and the insurance I carry I can haul the trailer with anything on it as long as I own the thing on the deck... Come to Ballston Spa, NY fairgrounds Saturday 9/21/13 and see it in real life! :drinkup
Pretty nice back hoe, looks like it has new tires. that will be handy to have. Wish I could make it to Balston Spa! That old A Car look pretty sweet pulling that lowboy . Keep the pictures coming. Maybe some from the truck show Saturday. Cheers Martin:drinkup
It's a possibility lowboy, have to see how things play out!
I'll try to get show pics Mr Plow...but for some reason every show I attend, I get so busy talking to people that I never seem to take a single picture myself, lol. I'll try to though. C'mon nedly...make it happen!
It was looking good as of last night...!
Well, I'll be there Saturday with the '63 Acar and the lowbed with a 20 ft. storage box that I'm swinging by to pick up right down the road from the Ballston Spa Fairgrounds,(long as the plan stays as it is currently anyhow,) and coming back Sunday with the '73 cabover Transtar just for the heck of it. Either way, come by and say hello! Don't know where I'll be parked...they never have any rhyme or reason when it comes to parking trucks, they just cram them into these shows like sardines. You'd like to be with other trucks of the same caliber, but it's never that way.
Nice trucks and equipment ! Good for u keeping it going. I love old stuff and would rather run it than anything new.
LowBoy, I guess I'm not going to make it. I was pretty psyched too, oh well hopefully next year.
That stinks, but I know how it goes...next year then. I almost didn't make it as of last night. I was backing my cabover Transtar onto my little lowbed and dropped the passenger side tire off the side and all but tipped the truck over doing it. I spent a bit of time jacking, blocking, and built a temporary ramp alongside the trailer's ramp to catch the tire on again, and very slowly drove back off. At that point, I decided I better stick to driving it on as usual. Got dark, out of patience and pretty miserable...almost gave up going to the show but this morning I'm back with a fresh perspective and going out there to reposition the truck and chain her down to head to Ballston Spa show as planned. Originally I was going to pick up a 20 ft. storage box on the way there, but I couldn't get anyone in the area with a rollback or wrecker to come lift it so I could load it on, so that's a bust. Amazed how no one would want to make a $100 bill for 20 minutes worth of work, but that's just me. That's why I need my own stuff....
That sucks. I hate when stuff like that happens. lucky you were home and had access to jacks and planks and such. Hopfully no damages ? Anyways enjoy Balston Spa , looking forward to more pics. Martin
Hope you don't regret that JCB as much as I regret mine. My problem is parts. Nearest dealer was in Fargo ND. I drove 90 miles one morning last year to the dealer, walked in around 10:30 AM to be told "sorry as of 8:00 AM we are no longer a JCB dealer". Now it's a drive to the north side of the Twin Cities at 130 miles. Great pictures. Rick
Hot damn LowBoy.............I've been driving by your place for years. I live about ten minutes from you in Heartwellville. LOVE those old girls you got camping out in your yard. Guess I've gotta stop by some day to visit. Nice stuff to be sure. I actually stopped by when you had the Transtar out front for sale, but was a bit short in the pocket. Damn, was a nice piece too.