Hi everyone, I just recently found this forum and have been browsing through all the great information. I thought I'd join up and share a couple pictures of my own. The first one is from one pond, the second two are both of a different pond.
Howdy Westenstar.We were laying field tile yesterday in river bottoms.Got about 1 inch of rain last nite ,job site was sloppy this morning and alot of water running.I think we can try it in the morning.Did the rain catch you in the first pond picture? That happens to us sometimes.I like your td20 .I have a td15 and td25.There all good tractors.My td15 has the carco 50 winch on it.I like a winch tractor.Yours looks like it has the carco 80,there good winches.Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome. As for the first picture, that water is from a couple days of filling by the natural springs which I hit while digging. I had the majority of the digging done, but it filled much faster than anyone expected. This first picture is the night after I finished digging the deep part, if I remember correctly. The second picture here is 5 days after, there was a decent rain over the weekend which combined with the fast spring to fill this up quick!
A spring is good for the pond,but can make it tough while building the pond.
I saw this on utube. Correct?
Yep, I have a couple short clips up.
welcome and thanks for the pictures, looks good
Pond Just out of curiousity what size where the pictures that you uploaded in resolution size I mean? 900 x 1200, 1600 x 1200 etc. I am trying to upload some also and apparently mine are too big to be accepted so trying to figure out how to reduce them without retaking in a smaller format.
Nice job.
these is a great dozer. i have two
looks fun
WesternStar, did you just rely on the existing clay to hold in the water? Have you ever built a pond where you needed more clay and had to truck it in? Im curious because im planning on building a pond and am doubfull about how much clay im gonna find.
Great Job. Love your Dozer. Wish i had one half as good. Can i ask where in New York that is ? Looks very familar.............
get Resizer from microsoft. it does wonders. i would give you a link if i knew how. you should be able to search it out on this forum. I think thats how i got it.
Yes, those ponds had sufficient clay present to hold water. I've never had to truck in clay for a pond before, usually before starting a pond you dig a test hole a few feet deep to see what kind of soil you are looking at and also if it fills up and/or holds water. If conditions looked unfavorable (gravel ground etc) then we wouldn't put a pond there. If you have a mix of good and bad material, you might be able to make it work. You always need to make a good keyway where you mix the clay thoroughly and pack it in. If you hit good springs, or have some sort of natural water supply, you might be able to get away with lower quality/less clay. What I mean is that if the inflow of water is greater than what you are losing due to leakage, you'll have a pond. This was around Wayland, technically in the township of South Dansville, a few miles from Route 21