Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A different CDL question

Electra_Glide ยท 2006-03-14 08:55

Well, we discuss CDLs here quite a bit, but I'm not sure this one has ever come up. Assume I have a class 6 truck (19,000-26,000lbs), and a 10000lb GVW trailer. Can I run this combination without a CDL? Based on the way I read the regs, I say "yes" because the trailer is not greater than 10000lbs. http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf What say you??? Thanks...

Replies11
  1. #1jmac2006-03-14 09:24

    In New York the book reads "drivers not covered in this catagory, but drive vehicles over 18,000 lbs but less than than 26,000 lbs required to possess a non-CDL C class license." John

  2. #2Jeff D.2006-03-14 10:15

    Joe, in your state it "appears" your right,and you wouldn't. Here in Mn,it reads"A single vehicle,or combination that exceeds 26,000lbs GVW"would require a CDL.There isn't the stipulation about having the trailer in excess of 10k for a CDL,just the combination>26kGVW.The trailer only comes into play for which CDL class you'de need,A,B,C. I'm confused now.I really thought it was supose to be universal,state to state,regarding the license.I'd be worried if I were stopped in your case,because it is so vague.Hopefully the cop would read it like we did. Good Luck,you might just need it!!

  3. #3Jeff D.2006-03-14 15:35

    (This is going to be enjoyable!!):Banghead I was incorrect about my state(Minnesota)stating a CDL would be required in your situation,Joe.I did not know what I was talking about,and read the requirement's too quickly.Our requirements are the exact same as your state,and they should be the same in every state.I apoligize for putting out crappy info!! The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986(CMVSA/86)passed by congress requires ALL states to have the same requirements for CDL's. If I'm not wrong,which is questionable,you should be O.K. without a CDL. The rules for a CDL are the same in all states,according to the above "Act of 1986" I'll be more diligent about knowing what I'm talking about before I post,from now on. (makes me worry about every other post I've blabbed my big mouth on!) Take Care.

  4. #4Orchard Ex2006-03-14 22:10

    I agree that according to your reference you should be able to drive that combination without a CDL. Just for insurance you may want to keep a copy of that reference in the cab of the truck in case you need to show it. Our state lists the same requirements, however I have been told by the "CDL expert" at our local DMV the the sum of the combination weight determines the CDL requirement - eg. an 18k# truck and a 10k# trailer would need CDL. Then they gave me this authoritative green handbook and said "it's all in here". The book says she was wrong. Jeff, I thought that I read somewhere that the Fed DOT CDL requirements were a minimum and the the states could be more restrictive if they choose. That may explain the recent post in JMAC's thread "wow this is not easy" regarding getting an "automatic transmission only" restriction. I've never heard of this here in MD and don't see it referenced in our restriction codes. I also thought I read that a CDL issued in any state has to be recognized by other states. So if I got my license in an automatic in MD I could still drive a standard in NY with my MD license because it's OK to do so at home. phew!:dizzy Or I could be wrong about that too. Jeff - 99.9% is still a pretty good score! You've helped me and others tons. Electra Glide - Don't forget that you still need the DOT physical for a commercial vehicle over 10k# even if you don't need the CDL. Too bad that the Federal/State DOT regulations can't be written so that they are easy to understand, or make regulations that make sense. Like - why do I need a Class A CDL to tow a 12k# trailer, but anybody who took their test in a Civic can jump in a pickup and tow a 7 ton airstream? :Banghead

  5. #5Jeff D.2006-03-14 23:59

    Thanks for the kind words,OrchardEx! It is confusing.I snoop around some other diesel forums occasionally,and often will see similiar questions,from guys trying to figure it out. It takes alot of digging(no pun)for a guy too make sure he's got all his bases covered when they first start out. I think it's worth it,in the end,though.

  6. #6Electra_Glide2006-03-15 07:56

    OrchardEx, Thanks for the reminder. Fortunately I already have my medical card. In fact I have my Class A learner's permit, but up to now I've been unsuccessful in getting seat time in a big truck in order to practice for the test. I found a 26000 GVW truck and a cheap 10000lb trailer this week, and they would be enough to get me by in the short-term (and I can can actually afford them), so I'm thinking about getting them. Just want to be sure I'd be legal. Hopefully I'll have my CDL by the middle of summer (otherwise my learner's permit will expire), but last fall I was saying that I wanted to have it by the end of winter...:Banghead. "Life" keeps getting in the way and resetting priorities. Take care... Joe

  7. #7Electra_Glide2006-03-15 08:06

    Ha...the CDL license stuff is a walk in the park compared to the FMCSA stuff. I started reading up on that (DOT numbers, "for-hire" carrier, driver logs, maintenance records, etc.), and it's really making my head spin...:dizzy Joe

  8. #8nedly052006-03-20 05:34

    In NY the Non-CDL class C has been thrown out, and anyone with a Class D liscense can drive up to 26 K GVW now, from what I have read it is unclear if you ccan tow a trailer.

  9. #9CGSI2006-03-24 10:54

    Hi guys.. here is the ny law When do I need a New York CDL instead of my regular New York Drivers License? A New York CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . . 1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs. 2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. 3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation. 4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding

  10. #10CGSI2006-03-24 10:56

    more from NY Class requirements What do the terms Class A, Class B, and Class C mean on my New York CDL? It refers to the type of vehicle that you may operate . . . CLASS A . . . allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. A Class "A" license also allows you to operate Class B and C vehicles. CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles. CLASS C . . .allows you to operate vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR; that are designed to transport 16 or more persons including the driver; or that carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation, or carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

  11. #11CGSI2006-03-24 11:03

    My F-550 GVWR 17,500 and 14GVWR require a Class A CDL (same as a big rig)when used together but the truck alone is non CDL. NYDOT requires a medical card to go with it.