Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

a few 580 Questions

Emerson ยท 2011-12-21 08:59

Hey Guys, I have just recently purchased an older 87' 580K. This my 1st backhoe, actually this is the 1st tractor larger then a lawn tractor that I've owned. I know I have alot to learn and I'm on the hunt for an operators manual and a service manual. a couple things that I've noticed that i the few days I've had it. - E-brake doesn't work, I don't even know which way is on/off - doesn't have alot of power to move when cold- I noticed a few threads about this so I'll read on. - when operating the Hoe sometimes I can only do 1 movement at a time. for example I can't move the dipper and swing right unless. or move the dipper and the boom. I was thinking perhaps I didn't have the tractor throttled enough ( Tach does not work) - As far I as k can tell none of the electrical in the cab work. I think this is common for this model. - The fuel tank looks like it has been repaired (around the arm mount) but seems to be cracked and damp around the crack, how serious is this? other then a few leaking cylinders, fittings and a cracked bucket I think that's it for now. I haven't had it for a week yet so I'm sure other issues will arise. Thanks Bill

Replies4
  1. #1JS580SL2011-12-21 22:57

    The K's I believe had the e brake on the front dash, pull it down so its pointing at you. Thats on. The K's and L's could be adjusted by turning the top of the handle inside the cab if any adjustment is left. Anything more technical than that theres some very knowledgable people who can shed alot more light than I can on here. As for the hoe, there are surges in the hydralics, do one function and another will slow down. All a part of getting to know the machine. Run the machine at whatever speed you feel comfortable with, but on that note the more rpm the more flow so the smoother it will go. I always run full throttle even doing the most finess tasks. I run a new Super N, it's a big difference than a K. I know the k's were alot choppier, the L's were a good bit smoother, then the m's got smoother as well. Always give the machine plenty of time to warm up. Every morning in the cold I start the machine, let it run for 2-3 mins at an idle, kick the throttle up a little bit and let it warm up for 20 mins or so. In the cold weather I also lift the rear end of the ground and put the machine in gear to help warm up the trans and rear end. Once the machine is warmed up cycle all the hydralic functions as well before working. Its a good practice to properly warm the machine up and makes a huge differance.

  2. #2rkride2012-01-01 12:14

    I have a 580k 1989. E-brake on right hand side cab floor. up is engaged, down disengaged.

  3. #3rkride2012-01-01 12:33

    bill, My 89 has electrical issues also. I have a proximity switch and lights that do not work. Have had issues with fan and blower. Put new blower motor in. Basically cleaning and applying dielectric to terminal ends and connectors solves alot of your problems.

  4. #4NHGus2012-01-01 21:05

    Many of the electronics on my 87 580K didn't work when I got the machine; the operators and service manuals are extremely handy for this. I replaced all of the fuses, bulbs(warning lights) cleaned and applied dielectric grease to all the connectors in addition to replacing the batteries, this took care of almost all of the electric issues. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the machine, servicing(the 580K is a pretty simple machine to work on)and cleaning the machine, you'll likely find any potential issues.