Hi guys, thanx for all you input in my other thread! I'm going to go with a tandem dual, Not sure which brand yet as there is so many. I have a couple questions when looking for one. I've noticed they all have 12" i beam frames but some are 16# and some are 19#. Is 16 ok or is it better to go with 19. I read the trailer rating forums below and am not wondering about the bix tex trailers. There rated for 25,900 but only have 10,000# axles, Sounds illegal to me. I like the pj and h&h trailers, Are there any other brands that are reputable that i should be looking at. sorry it's so long, i just want to be sure i get the best bang for my buck and a trailer that lasts a long time. Thank you Marc
As for your axle rating question, are they really 10,000# axles or are they just under titling the trailer. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about a Delta trailer and he said that the axles are heavier and the trailer is a 23,500# trailer but for savings on license plates it is only 20,000# on the title. Not saying everyone does it this way, but check it out before dismissing it. Might be worth it to have a trailer that is heavier than the rating since everyone I know has overloaded at one time or another.
they call them 10,000# heavy duty axles.
I would go with the heavier, 19# I beam for that size of trailer. If it was a tandem 7000 pound axle 16# I beam would be heavy enough IMO. PJ and H&H are nice trailers.
part of the gross trailer weight is carried by the truck, a trailers gross weight rating is always more than the sum of the axle ratings
I know this is an old thread, but i have owned 3 big tex trailers, one was a large air brake model, we hauled 2 skid steers or a roller and small paver, always below the max, I constantly had wheels cracking and flat tires. The axles, wheels and tires are not up to the weight that they rate the whole trailer at. I carry the same equipment now on a trailboss and have had zero issues. I run a trailboss to have the long hydraulic ramps necessary for paver and roller, but for skid steer or backhoe Zieman is the best out there, it wont let you down and resale is very high.
Thanx for your input BLconst, It's not a very old thread