I'd like to know what you HD mechanics would tell someone thinking about entering this trade? I love trouble shooting and fixing stuff, but the job I'm training for right now (helicopter mechanic) requires a lot of time away from home, like 6 weeks at a time. How long does it usually take to run your own service truck? What can you expect to make in a year? Is it something you still love after 20 years? I don't know how many Canadian there are on here, but I'd really like to here your thoughts as this is where I live and plan to work (B.C. or Alberta). Thanks guys
Well I just celebrated , thats probably the wrong word lol of being in my own business for 20 years ..I grew up around Trucks and Equipment and early on I loved it for it ...not money . If a man wants something bad enuff he'll get it . I know what i know from wanting to learn ,never looked at a clock or my wage .The most important thing was the repair was done right ..It's alot of sacrifice ...Oh just noticed you asked "how much can I expect to make a year " ...Don't take this wrong you probably should keep doin what your doin now ..
Koldsteele same here you hit on the head when been around it all your life it hard to do any thing else
fixer upper, Complete your training. One thing most employers look for these days is some form of technical training before they will hire for a maintenance job. Then work somewhere for a respectable period of time and develop a good work ethic. Most field service guys out in their own truck or (lets say a Dealership) are usually the most highly experienced mechanics. They are in that position because they can get the job done, Without help, and properly, the first time. Mechanics at this level can ask themselves, " how much do I want to make this year?". This work is very gratifying to me even after 22 years. It has taken a toll on my body. It is hard work. My rule of thumb. A service truck with a big goonie crane is going to go out a do all of the big goonie work.
Thanks for the replies, and no, it's not at all about the money, but when you have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed it does matter. I think this may be something I'll take a closer look at after I'm done my schooling here.
Hey no dissrespect here Fixer Upper ..I just seen too many people that say they want to do what I do ??.. All I can say is if your REALLY serious about equipment repair you won't let wage stand in the way...My grandpa told me a long time ago "money ruinings everthing " ..Yeah we gotta have it , but don't look at a trade cause you think people make big money ...Hell if that was the case I'd learn to be a Bank robber...
Here is what I have seen this year as far as the wages to be expected. Entry Level Heavy Mech +/-25-30K, Seasoned 40-50K, High Experience 50-80K in my area. I would encourage anyone who wants to get into this line of work. The baby boomer generation is retiring at the rate of 3 per minute and there is definately a shortage of heavy equipment mechanics at all levels.
I agree with Wrench_one on the pay scale....... thats sounds about right for central Indiana.