Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A job for crane operator…

Welder Dave · 2019-01-06 19:04

Here's a vessel built in Edmonton. 318ft. long and 1,760,000lbs. How many cranes would be required to lift it? https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...ld-out-of-edmonton/ar-BBRSFW6?ocid=spartandhp

Replies13
  1. #1crane operator2019-01-06 19:25

    Actually dave, it probably gets set vertical, and with only one crane. That's only 880 tons. It just takes a pretty big crane. But big moves like that are really interesting, because of the logistics of moving it to the site and lifting. Its a really specialized field, with really expensive equipment. Its a totally different game than what I do everyday, but its still neat to see. Its kind of like your neighborhood septic man with a backhoe, looking at one of the large coal mining electric shovels. Sure, its all moving dirt, but its just on a different scale. Thanks for posting.

  2. #2CM19952019-01-06 20:07

    Crane op I'll build your crane pad if you make the lift.

  3. #3Junkyard2019-01-06 21:20

    I’ve been involved in some stuff like that. There are a couple ways to skin that cat. Several places used SPMT and a special fixture to tail them. Only a handful of players setup to make that pick....

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-01-07 01:16

    We do have some big cranes in Alberta. It looks like they made special saddles for the tower just for transporting. Dacro is about 15 minutes away from where I live. I remember driving by there a couple weeks ago and saw the vessel. It looked big but I didn't realize just how big. It doesn't have to go too far and a lot of these moves are done in the middle of the night so they don't disrupt traffic too much. They often have to move overhead wires and street signs in the process. Wouldn't be surprised if Mammoet had the job of lifting it with one of their modular ring cranes. https://www.mammoet.com/equipment/cranes/ring-cranes/ptc-35/

  5. #5kshansen2019-01-07 06:12

    Not sure I would want the job of checking tire pressures on that trailer!

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-01-08 00:10

    That's only the lead trailer... Found something for you on a twitter feed, 832 tires for just the trailers, 912 including the tires on the trucks to move it. https://twitter.com/GlobalBeck Here's some more info. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $250,000 or more to move and erect it. Will take 4 days to move 125 KM's. Scroll down for the video. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-splitter-dacro-industries-1.4968053 https://globalnews.ca/news/4820539/...s-tall-as-cfl-football-field-out-of-edmonton/

  7. #7kshansen2019-01-08 08:58

    Almost seems like it would have been better to build in place even if one needed to put up a temporary building to work in! And all that to make plastic pellets that will be used to make more or less disposable items that will end up in a landfill or on the ocean beaches. But then that's a story for another forum.

  8. #8Welder Dave2019-01-08 20:34

    I think building in place would have added a lot to the cost and a ton of headaches. I'm not sure if the vessel was stress relieved or not but in the picture it is sitting beside the stress relieving oven/building at Dacro. One of the links if you scroll down shows a seam being sub-arc welded. It would be a real pain to fit all the shells together in the field. If they built it vertical would need scaffolding 320' high. If they built it horizontal would need to set rails perfectly flat with super high capacity power rolls to fit all the shells together. Likely 25 to 30 separate shells. Cranes would have to be rented and kept on site for the entire build. It says it took a year to build so I imagine the crane rental alone would be in the millions. A lot of the welding would require preheat and you'd have to keep it out of the elements. This is just a portion of the problems that would be encountered building it on site. I think my earlier guess on transporting and erection is probably way too low $250,000. It could easily be over a million $$$. It's one frigging big vessel!

  9. #9crane operator2019-01-09 20:52

    I'll send in the bid- do you need some bigger dirt equipment for the pad? Because I'm going to have to add in a extra $5-10 million for some bigger cranes and rigging, and I could add in a line item or two for you too.

  10. #10Welder Dave2019-01-11 00:37

    The splitter reached its final destination and they didn't show it but said it will be lifted with the worlds second largest crane. I'd guess a Mammoet ring crane that uses 3500-3000 T of counterweight. I hope they video it being lifted. Of course the Premier of Alberta has to be there to act like the Gov't. somehow made it all possible. Push harder to get Trans Mountain Pipeline built and you might get some credibility. Check out the video on the new generation heavy lift cranes. https://globalnews.ca/video/4834854/massive-tower-reaches-final-destination-in-fort-saskatchewan/ https://www.mammoet.com/siteassets/equipment/cranes/ring-cranes/ptc-200-ds/datasheet-ptc-200-ds.pdf

  11. #11John C.2019-01-11 19:54

    I've done appraisals on 1,000 ton Demag crawler cranes before. Those guys don't even consider putting a lift on paper for less than a million. If I remember correctly they said it was something like twenty truck loads to move just the crane and then there was the wheel horse and all those counterweights. When those cranes were new 1,000 tons was about as big as there was. Now days that really isn't that big of a unit. I saw one twice the size being put together for crew training down in Houston when I inspected the Demags. Talk about erector sets. I'm glad to see the big structures are being built in Canada now. There were some oil field structures that were built in Korea, floated up the Columbia and Snake rivers and trucked over LoLo pass into Montana and up to oil sands not too many years ago.

  12. #12Welder Dave2019-01-12 01:44

    Big vessels are commonly built in Alberta. I went to school with the foreman at Edmonton Exchanger. Their monster rolls are capable of rolling 7" thick cold and 12" thick hot. They are the largest or 2nd largest plate rolls in N. America. They designed and built a 3000 ton head press that uses a 6' dia. hydraulic cylinder. Every size of head requires different dies that they fabricate. Dacro that built the vessel has the largest stress relieving furnace in N. America. Cessco is another shop in Edmonton capable of building 500 ton plus vessels. A friend of mine worked at both shops several years ago when he was in the Boilermakers Union. https://www.edmontonexchanger.com/pressure-vessel-components/pressure-vessel-plate-rolling/ http://www.dacro.com/index.php?page=heat-treating-equipment http://cessco.ca/fabrication/photo-gallery

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-01-20 21:22

    Just an update. They shipped another vessel to the same site from Dacro (same shop) but it barely made the news. It was just a baby at 682 Tonnes and 62M (203') long. The total cost of the new facility is $3.5 billion.