Have any of the gifted collective listening here ever "lost their way" on the journey of life? And if you have, how did you get back on the straight and narrow? Currently I feel as if I'm treading water... No doubt there is some wisdom on here... Usually only expressed toward yellow coloured iron tho...
To get any real specific help, we'll need your serial number. But more seriously, that's a pretty broad question. Personally, there was a time in my life when I didn't even feel like I was treading water, but drowning. I knew the way forward though, so I'm not sure my experience would relate. Regardless, I wish you the best.
Listen to Desperado by th'eagles.
I mailed you a card.
YouTube : Fulton Sheen
Hi simonsrplant. Losing your way on the journey of life is a pretty broad statement so I'll try and give some perspective on my experiences from both ends. If life has really become depressing then it could well be depression that's afflicting you. Although I can't say I've ever really suffered from depression my partner has and it can be extremely debilitating for her. When it's bad it is all she can do to carry out the basic functions of day to day life. Nothing seems to bring any joy and the best I can do is be there for her. Counselling and some minimal anti depressants have helped. I am also involved in an organisation in Australia that has a Men's Shed which supports men by giving them somewhere where you'll get some friendly and supportive company right through to building significant community projects. In between the shed may be a space for woodwork, metalwork, mechanical work and even artwork etc. There have been guys in our community who have recently lost a job, partner or retired who have really benefited from the Men's Shed project and the friends they've made there. At the other end of the spectrum is a crossroads I have come to at times where I question is this what I really want to do and what else could I do that I would enjoy more or would add more value to my life and others lives. In some ways I have been fortunate in that I have a broad range of interests and I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and somewhat a master of a few. Periodically I have changed my path in life and taken on some new challenges in a field of work or even community action to find more enjoyment in life This has brought on some risks and challenges, both financial and personal, but the journey, which still continues, has been worth it. In some ways I have gone full circle, having been in heavy equipment when I was young, then gone down a range of other paths and come back to heavy equipment. I does get in your blood. However I also have IT skills and am a reasonable salesman so these areas are also part of my life and work. I have met some wonderful people and found that the journey can lead off into tangents which can be unpredictable and unexpected... but worthwhile all the same. I have also been able to take an active role in my community as a volunteer which I believe has made where I live a better place to be. I don't know if I'm on the right track simonsrplant with the paragraphs above. Maybe you can give some more info about what you're looking for on your journey... Mind you a new or secondhand bit of machinery does give me a grin Either way I wish you all the best from over here in Australia, regards AusDave
Yeah, I think we've all had times when we felt a bit rudderless, or just didn't know which way to turn. I think what you are talking about is just feeling like you aren't getting anywhere, and goodness knows I've been through that. I guess we need a few more details, to give more specific advice. Just remember free advice is worth what you pay for it! Mitch
With the exception of a few short time periods when I thought I was doing something of worth for others and doing well myself, I have been lost and just surviving my whole life. Only reason I stick around is because somewhere deep down I KNOW that whatever created me had a purpose in mind, even if it's just to answer somebody's question on an obtuse subject and therefore be of some help to the universe. Not to be an even bigger downer but in the grand scheme of things we only get seventy or eighty years on average and damn few if any of us leave any lasting mark behind. If you can, find something you love to do and do that, even if it doesn't give you the kind of income you think you need, every day look for one thing that brings you a moment of pure joy and lacking that, the beauty around you whether that's a scene from nature or the sound of a big engine pulling sweet. If you're not happy, change your job/address/lover/hemisphere, and if you're still not happy, change yourself. I've been told it can be done. As AusDave suggests, try to find some men of kindred spirit and interest to associate with, whether at a social group of some kind, or a club that focuses on a hobby, you will find that if you are thinking you are alone in your troubles or doubts or questions, you are far wrong, we are all brothers paddling similar canoes and there's comfort in knowing that even if none of us has the answers, at least we're all asking the same questions. When it comes to women, they cannot make you happy, only you can do that. Women can allow you to be happy (good ones) or make your life a living hell, or something in between usually. Philosopher mode [off] As someone once said "Keep your feet on the ground, keep reaching for the stars, and wherever you go, may your God go with you."
You must always push the limits because if you never fail you can never succeed. No Fear
Hey ... at times I still have trouble navigating what direction to go Often best to let the customer tell you what to do . Journey of life ..... Seems like your either going through a storm , coming out of a storm , or getting ready to go through a storm . Customer recommended to keep doing what your doing and grab a cold barley soda at the end of the day .:drinkup
Very good point AusDave! But my interpretation of "new" would mean "new to me" Don't think my wife will ever understand the pleasure I can get from taking some old piece of "junk", like an old snow blower or motorcycle, and spend hours getting it to work again. She thinks it would be better to just go and buy a new one! There are times I get frustrated and fed up with a problem but once I step back and think things out almost always see what I was overlooking. Too often people look for the big answers to problems, be it why that old Cat won't fire up or life in general. I'm never going to be able to answer everyone's questions on equipment or life but if once in awhile I can just point in the right direction I feel good. This site has help me do that several times to my pleasure.
I felt like I was treading water for 18 years. I dumped my concrete business in California with all of the headaches and employees and moved to Texas. Then the other thing in my life that was bringing me down dumped me. I started a new business doing what I love to do and an entire new life. I just turned 59 and now have two thrasher little boys that are younger than my grand kids. I couldn't be happier. Sometimes God throws a monkey wrench in there to get your attention and change your direction. Push on brother...every day on this side of the dirt is a good one!
I wish I could help, but I am not sure exactly what is troubling you. There are a lot of good listeners on this forum, though. (If that's what you are looking for)
'Lost their way' supposes that there *is* a intended or specific way thru life. No? What do you want? Do you want to own lots of things? Do you want to go home early, and enjoy restful time? Are you your own boss? If so, be grateful for that! Plenty of hard workers just want to work usefully, but they are being put out of work by stupid laws, stupid rules, and greedy business plans. Monomaniacal people and successful people seem to know, their whole lives, what they want to do. But I doubt you want to be a movie star or that you want to be the Emperor of Persia... You could want to be richer than Gates, or you could want to find the cure for cancer, or you could want to cause Peace on Earth, or you could just give ordinary people an honest deal on the work that they want done... (I can only do the last one. That's good enough for me...) FWIW, all I do is tread water. For me, working is happiness. Owning more yellow iron is that much closer to nirvana. YMMV!
Too true, td. I have a customer who calls me, several times, each and every time that we work, to tell me what to do. I say to him, here are the phone numbers of the guys, you call them and tell them what to do, ok? And I'll give all of the other customers your phone number, and I'll tell them that you are in charge of scheduling the work, ok? Is that a deal? No....?