Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A little clearing project

bigblueox ยท 2008-08-28 21:36

started a little clearing project a while back. we are trying to establish a food plot to attract some rabbits.

Replies39
  1. #1bigblueox2008-08-28 21:48

    we knocked the trees down with the loader then limbed and bucked the logs. seperated the logs from stumps and windrowed slash to use as cover for the animals.

  2. #2bigblueox2008-08-28 21:51

    after some sorting we loaded the logs and took them to the saw mill. didn't get much money for the logs but it's better than letting them rot. mostly gum trees but some red oak as well.

  3. #3bigblueox2008-08-28 22:07

    some more of the saw mill.

  4. #4qball2008-08-28 22:09

    what do you feed the rabbits to?

  5. #5bigblueox2008-08-28 22:26

    it's inteded as food plot for hunting rabbits. hope fully we can keep a thick enough population to do some hunting. rabbit stew is good eating!

  6. #6RocksnRoses2008-08-28 23:51

    Nice pics, bigbluebox. How many hours has the Liebherr done and have you had any problems with it? The reason I ask is that we have a 541 wheel loader of similar age and we have had numerous problems with it. A Liebherr mechanic told me that the track loaders at the time were having some issues as well. I'm sure the rabbits will thank you:notworthy:notworthy well that is until :guns:guns:guns Rn'R.

  7. #7HeyUvaVT2008-08-29 07:58

    how bout some info on the excavator...never seen one like that...who makes it and what size is it...also where in va are you? I am an hour east of richmond (lancaster county)

  8. #8bigblueox2008-08-29 09:56

    it's an 85' era poclain 160. it weighs about 60,000lbs and has a 260hp turbocharged deutz engine. Its old and slow but it was cheap and gets the job done. The liebher has about 7k hours on it. i've heard the same thing about the loaders. ours has the mercedes diesel in it. it runs pretty good we've had a few leakes fixed and some miscelanous things like exhaust gasket and bushings in the 4-1. i think the return valve in the valve bank for the 4-1 isn't closing because the bucket opens up slightly, but when u hit the pedal it shuts only to open slightly over a little time. overall its a good loader. i'm not such a big fan of the pilot controls, i'd rater have a drive system like a 963. i'm about an hour north of richmond in fredericksburg.

  9. #9HeyUvaVT2008-08-29 13:11

    f-burg is a great place...seems to be growing by leaps and bounds especially near the route 17 - route 1 interchange right near I-95

  10. #10tonka2008-08-29 17:19

    um how many do ya want there all over the place at our apt at night...........just got to get my BB gun on a knock some out

  11. #11RocksnRoses2008-08-29 19:28

    I would say you are doing all right then, bigblueox. I think the loaders here were having problems with the final drives. Our wheel loader is a really good loader when it is going, but we have had transmission problems, pump problems and diff problems. We bought it new and it now has 14,000 hours on it but there were a lot of hassles along the way. Rn'R.

  12. #12cat 3852008-08-29 20:20

    i've ran a poclain 160,about the same year i think, do the engine doors open like it has wings?we used to call ours the (flying none.)

  13. #13Deere96702008-08-30 11:48

    What are you going to plant for the rabbits? We plant chicory and clover up here for deer. Its pretty easy to grow, as long as you stay on top of the weed control. I would recomend doing a soil test to see what fert. you may need to put on. Keep posting pics!

  14. #14redline2008-08-30 21:33

    if its anything like aus that scrubby soil should be pretty fertile, could be wrong but in aus that would grow lush feed for years without fert

  15. #15bigblueox2008-08-30 21:36

    yep ours has wings also. nothing like the doors slamming on your head, it hurts trust me. luckily they weren't propped open that wide! yeah we have just done a round of lime and potash. i think we will plant clover mixed with cool seasoned grasses. probally like switchgrass or something along those lines maybe some peas as well.

  16. #16mouse2008-08-31 06:06

    round here blackberries seem to be the best thing to attract rabbits... how many rabbits should i send?

  17. #17bigblueox2008-09-01 10:35

    few dozen should be adequate after they are rabbits.....

  18. #18bigblueox2008-09-03 21:13

    snapped some more pics this week. The boss man decided he'd jump in the 631 today and clear some land to enlarge our hay field. so i got to play pick up sticks. 1: boss grubbing stumps 2: my chariot 3: the mayhem insues 4: distance is a good thing 5: our burn pit from a far

  19. #19bigblueox2008-09-03 21:19

    1: my hungry claw 2: Saw longs bound for the mill 3: The patented multi tree non-domino technique. 4: now hes learning 5: yes trees fall down when not pushed into other trees.

  20. #20bigblueox2008-09-03 21:45

    1-3 nice time elapsed montage of good felling technique ( considered felling?) we're picking up steam now! 4:dragging the stumps out for me to clean 5: yet more of the patented 101 step approach to knocing down a tree... step 1: knock tree into signifigant number of other standing trees step 2: push tree so it's wedged nice a tight between appropiate sized forked trunk tree ( if no forked trunk tree is available use smaller trees that are much closer together) step 3: reverse and get running start step 4: stare blankly at employee wondering why his 10,000lb machine can't move what your 40,000 lb machine couldn't move. step 5: repeate steps 1-4 as necessary until you have cleared all remaining trees or run out of diesel, whichever comes first.

  21. #21bigblueox2008-09-03 21:53

    1: change attack stratagey..... 2: to a more frontal attack , enough of this silly lateral foolishness (notice the 4-1 bucket deflection testing) 3: ah-hah the flank attack 4: grubbing stumps 5: the old poclain taking a rest for the evening.

  22. #22bigblueox2008-09-03 21:56

    finally 1: some stumps and the 631 (note large stump of forked trunk tree mentioned earlier) 2: parting shot of the 160.

  23. #23Deere96702008-09-03 22:40

    Awesome pics! Looks like your really desperate for some rabbits! Around here the hawk and coyote pressure is so bad, seeing a rabbit or pheasent is not too common.

  24. #24Bellboy2008-09-04 10:43

    Nice Liebherr! I say, import the rabbits. Fluffy bunnies!

  25. #25bigblueox2008-09-04 20:46

    yeah we've been working on the coyotes and fox pretty hard. the old rem 700 vls knockin on their door. thanks though. think we're going to put some drain tile in the last spot. it gets kinda wet!

  26. #26Deas Plant2008-09-06 21:52

    Wadda Loada Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, Bigblueox. Those photos of the Leibherr knocking down those trees all have to be 'photoshopped'. We were emphatically informed some time ago, by no less an authority than Dozer575 Esquire, that loaders can't push trees over 'cos their push point/angle of push is too high and the bucket will just slide up the trunk. See pages 2, 3, 4 in particular. Now do you want to re-think your story? LOL. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

  27. #27Bellboy2008-09-07 01:54

    Mmm, I don't think so. A contractor down here used his two Bell L2306C payloaders to knock down the wood in the fire damaged plantations after last years huge fires. Apart from the machines really being tricked out, there is no reason why a machine other than a dozer can't do it as well as a dozer.

  28. #28humboldt deere2008-09-07 02:08

    Bellboy I think you may have missed the joke Deas was telling, but I'm glad you can see that specialized equipment such as a trackloader can perform a multitude of tasks contrary to what some people would lead you to believe:thumbsup

  29. #29Squizzy246B2008-09-07 11:52

    ointhead:lmao:lmao:lmao

  30. #30Deere96702008-09-07 12:41

    WOW Deas you really hate that dozer 575 guy dont ya! Im pretty sure found some of his insane posts on youtube as well under a different name. Good joke though:drinkup

  31. #31Deas Plant2008-09-07 15:46

    Hate?????????????????????????????????????? Hi, Deere9670. I don't HATE the guy. In fact, I think he may have some quite good qualities hidden away somewhere if he'd just let them out. Most of us do, even most of the 'worst' of us. How-wevver, I'm not going to stand by and let him peddle his garbage here or anywhere else that I see it and I'm also not going to let him forget that so many of his posts are ridiculous and utter garbage. The man is dangerous in his present form as he may lead some poor inexperienced sucker to think that what he says is absolutely right and thus cause problems, maybe even injury or death. If I can do anything to prevent that, I will.

  32. #32bigblueox2008-09-07 22:57

    you caught me!:cool2 actually they are R/C machines in my basement! every one knows you can't push over trees with a loader:laugh get em good and don't let them forget it!:woohoo

  33. #33Deas Plant2008-09-08 06:23

    'Fessed up. Hi, Bigblueox. Well, at least you 'fessed up in the end. That's gotta count in your favour. LOL.

  34. #34nextdoor2008-09-10 07:41

    Just been reading this thread, crikey Deas you have a memory an elephant would be envious of. And Dozer575 I would quit while you are ahead-behind....Whatever, cos you are never going to get away with, well anything.

  35. #35Mogcrazy2008-10-06 19:58

    Liebherr Man that Liebherr is a sweet looking rig! Great pics keep em coming.

  36. #36special tool2008-10-07 06:02

    That's a good one. If anything, my little 450 loader can push over BIGGER trees than my D6 because of increased mechanical advantage. The bucket goes up a lot higher than the blade on the D6 - that'd be leverage.

  37. #37D5G2008-10-10 10:32

    great pics and great job!

  38. #38Country2008-12-12 12:46

    Funny bigblueox, I drive right by that farm everyday on RT3. It was months ago I was watching the progress of the job in post #20. Yal still got the equipment out there in that field. I looked over there this morning. This thread is a little old, but I was reading it, looking at your pictures and thought I'd seen that hoe before... Then I got to the pics in post #20 and said, "dam that looks familiar". I saw you we're in Va and it hit me... Too funny man. I've been looking at different pics from all over the world on this site and then all of a sudden there's one from my own back yard... It's a small world.:drinkup I live out 20 in Unionville.

  39. #39bigblueox2008-12-13 20:44

    yeah we're plugging away when weather premits. I've gone back to achool fulltime and between working out there and @ the animal hospital i stay pretty busy. we just got a new asv rc-100 with loftness mulching head, hopefully it'll dry out enogh so we can try it out. you know where rt-20 and rt-3 meet? that my family's farm on the left(going west) and a little frontage on the right.