I landed a job removing an old concrete and block foundation and placing 8" of stone for a parking lot at one of the Armory's in town. I thought I might have my rear end handed to me when we found out the other 1/2 of the slab was 10-12" thick instead of the 4-6" slab I estimated for. But it all came out without too much trouble and we finished the job in 3 days. First pic is "before", second pic is dropping the can and the third is tearing out the "easy slab". Kudos to John, he can really run a backhoe.
A few more pics of removal. The last two pics show the thickness of the slab I underestimated. The good thing was it was old and cracked. If you take the backhoe and ease the bucket underneath the slab and pick up a little on it, you could break it into chunks.
And finally the finished product. Well... almost finished it wasn't rolled in yet.
The armory here in town ripped up a bunch of old paving and replaced it with concrete last year. They don't seem to be using they're new parking area though.
Nice work Corey, I always liked ripping out concrete. My last job with my old boss in Ontario was the same kind of deal. Bid to remove a 4" floor that was 50x300'. Sadly when we got there, we found out that floor was 5' higher than the main floor in the factory. So we maneuvered the backhoe up there, sent the new guy in there to break out a corner and then start crackin away. Thats when we found out most of the floor was between 5-6" deep, and near the outside wall was almost 12" for some machine bases that used to be there. After 4 days of poking holes in 1x1 squares I got a call from my grandfather, he originally poured the floor in 1974 back when concrete was cheaper than gravel. My boss lost a fortune on that job. Kinda serves him right though, bidding a job like that at a flat price without ever going to look at the job. Say Corey.... need a backhoe operator?
Thanks Burnout, unfortunately I didn't have much to do with this project - not by choice, alot of crap came up to deal with that took me away from this fun project. My role was estimator, project manager and accounts recievable - not the things I like to do ( as a full time job, stick time is my therapy) but what the hey, it's the business.:beatsme I did go and look at the job first, but with the lack of xray vision (LOL), I assumed ( and we all know what assume means) the 2 slabs were the same. Anyway, it came out with no problem. The praise needs to go to the guys that actually did the job in the time frame that I told the owner we would. Kudos to John (backhoe operator) and Jon (roll-off driver). They came in and got the job done in a pinch. I really wanted a part of this, you know getting to run equipment and drive the tri-axle, but it is what it is. As far as a backhoe operator...... always need a good one!
Nice work. Don't you just love it when when the concrete is thicker than expected. I remember knocking down a house and it had big brick stairs going to the front door. Removed the house and was saving the brick/ concrete for last. I went over to rip up the stairs and it would not even budge. After some serious pulling/prying I was able to flip them over and found about 7 yards of concrete was used as a footer There was more concrete in the steps than in the whole house! It does help to stack the concrete nice and neat in the dumpster to help reduce the air space.
Thanks Dirtman. Demo is always a variable but at least it is a challenge.LOL What happened was my tri-axle driver was sick this week which kinda threw the project off kilter. I was planning on using my tri to haul all the concrete and dirt to our inert landfill. Well minus 1 CDL driver, we have 3 - one sick, one at a project 5 hours away and me ( read post above), so I called the sister roll-off company to help us out. The cool part was that Jon was able to find us a place to dump the concrete for $15 per load (cash ) with a 30 min round trip.
Ohhh a GOOD backhoe operator... sorry didn't know you we're being picky about it Corey.... As for your X-Ray vision.... I hear thats JD's next big unveiling at Con Expo 2011:drinkup
Ahh- don't worry about that, were not too stinkin' picky Can you imagine the fanfare Deere will have planned for that! For '11 Conexpo we need to get some "official" press passes.:drinkup
Why do we need official press passes... we did ok last time.