Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A little rotor wear

RobVG ยท 2009-07-13 21:06

Doing some side work for another company. They drove their FL60 Freightliner to my shop and left it- saying they thought one of the calipers was leaking. The calipers/wheels were all bone dry until I filled the empty reservoir. Took the wheels off the leaky one and this is what I found:

Replies18
  1. #1Steve Frazier2009-07-13 21:45

    What rotor??? I can't say I've seen one that bad before!

  2. #2willie592009-07-13 22:21

    LoL...I was doing annual DOT inspections on a fleet of Cable TV trucks once, ran across a chevy 3500 rear rotor that was just slightly worse, there was no disk face metal left at all on one side...only fins.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-07-13 22:27

    I think they got all it had to give.

  4. #4RobVG2009-07-13 23:47

    It's a first for me but I usually work on airbrakes. Thought you guys might like the pic.

  5. #5willie592009-07-14 00:02

    That's pretty good RobVG, you don't see this stuff often, at least you got a pic of yours.

  6. #6BoomerFF3732009-07-15 20:48

    Guess they got the mileage out of that rotor

  7. #7Muffler Bearing2009-07-16 18:43

    :beatsme " No it wasn't making any noise"

  8. #8jughead2009-07-22 21:17

    saw that once in 40 years of repair work. 1/ton ford dump

  9. #9ScottAR2009-07-23 00:48

    Weird... I see one of those every couple of months... Cars and light trucks though... We made a clock out of one... We tend to keep some of the better pieces of carnage. Got a hole as well... Used to be a piece of Detroit 60 block. Now it's a hole. Got the wristpin that did it too... :yup

  10. #10Knucklehead2009-07-23 12:53

    I had one worse than that one time. Was working for a guy that had a used car lot. He bought one from a auction that had a blown head gasket. I fixed it , and he later sold it. It sold on Friday, was in the lot on Monday morning. They said it had very poor brakes. After I about ran through the back of the shop, I pulled the front wheels to find the hubs cut OFF the rotors on BOTH front wheels. I wish i would have kept them!!

  11. #11RobVG2009-07-23 18:44

    If you look closely at the picture, the hub was cut completely from the disk- the caliper ate right through it. I use to keep curious old parts for souvenirs to remind me of interesting or difficult jobs but they started to clutter the shop. I did make a toilet paper holder out of a chipped aux drive gear from a C-15 Cat.

  12. #12ScottAR2009-07-24 00:42

    I can't believe I forgot about the caliper piston! GMC G3500 motorhome. The brake hose collapsed and they drove it in that way. The piston/brake pad got so hot they friction welded to each other. The core caliper I sent back had the other brake pad welded to it. I'm amazed the truck didn't burn up...

  13. #13RobVG2009-07-27 20:15

    Just one last bit to add. Got the new parts and matched them up to the old ones. The rotor that was destroyed had a hub with an O.D. 1/2" larger than it should have been. It had been replaced. It's likely this was the cause of the problem . I don't know how they got the caliper on.... "Hey Earl! Grab the BIG hammer!..."

  14. #14engineman562009-07-28 14:04

    Yes I've seen that on F-350's & C-30 Chevys. The drivers said the brakes need checked and I pulled the wheels and found that same thing. Driver said it never made a noise. I couldn't believe it. Kevin

  15. #15JDOFMEMI2009-07-28 14:55

    Of course it was not making any noise that they could hear over the racket of the stereo.

  16. #16engineman562009-07-31 08:39

    JDOFMEMI, I think that you are 100 percent right. How could a person not know it? Kevin

  17. #17Dozerboy2009-07-31 18:57

    I don't know but I have seen the same thing too.....

  18. #18thejdman042009-08-04 19:56

    Ive seen all too many like that, scary to think most of the trucks I have seen them on were driven in and had current safety stickers.