Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A little water in my hydro fluid

Shovelworks ยท 2020-07-16 18:16

So I pulled my dipper piston off and had it re packed. I had a almost empty new pail of hydro fluid outside to top off the tank. We had a lot off rain the last week and apparently some leaked into the vent hole in the bucket. I poured it into my excavator and noticed as the last of it went in it was not right. I didn't pour much in but enough to make the oil in the glass (to see the level) cloudy. I'm going to change the oil, I'm just wondering if I might have done any damage. I ran it for about an hour maybe a little more. Cat 312 BL 8JR01751

Replies3
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-07-16 20:36

    You likely haven't done any significant damage. The fact that it was enough water to 'milk up' the reservoir says it was more than just a little. If it were mine, and I had the funds, I'd drain and fill everything possible. Tank, cylinders, hoses etc.

  2. #2mitch5042020-07-16 22:42

    Oh, and you don't need a vent hole in a 5 gallon bucket, just turn it over so that the spout is at the top when you pour it.

  3. #3uffex2020-07-17 04:12

    Good day The advice given by FWF should be taken on board - water in the fluid will cause expensive damage inside hydraulic components, I suggest you give thought as to how that water arrived in the fluid and prevention in future. Kind regards Uffex