This is our lowboy truck: A 1974 W900 with a 2005 Aspen trailer. 425 horse 3406 Cat, fuller 10 speed/ 4 speed, w/SSHD rears. I really need more truck to be doing this but, we make do with what we have right now.
Good looking transport Mike. I tried to attach a picture of ours but it is too big, and I haven't yet taken the time to learn to re-size them. You a bit chilly on that end of the state? 14 below here this morning.
There, I got it, but there has to be an easier way. Anyway, this is my 89 378, 3406B 425, brakesaver, jakes, 18sp, 2speed rears with 96 Aspen 50Ton. Sorry it's dirty here.
How do you like the 10 speed with the 4 behind it? I have never been around one, but it sounds like a good set up. I suppose a lot would depend on the ratios in the 4sp.
I hauled logs with that same truck for 11 years, worked really well set up that way. Always could find just the right gear for just about anything.
We have a 97 Pete with a 10+4, I like it a lot. Fun to drive and any gear you could want.
Nice outfit Prenn!
So how is the 4 set up? Is it progressive, or is it like a deep reduction or two and an overdrive, with direct in the middle somewhere?
two and an over drive. So it goes deep under, under, direct, overdrive.
The additional overdrive probably helps quite a bit at highway speeds (at least out of California) if your rear end ratio is low. I used to run a 4 axle wrecker with a ten and a four. Tons of overlap so you didn't run it like a 5 + 4, but you had a gear for every purpose.
Loading a Link Belt 98 yarder: It's only about 14' tall with the boom and the tower lowered, but it's pretty long.
That's a good looking rig Prenn! What is the heaviest weight that you have carry on that trailer and truck?