Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A Question About Oil Contamination From Attachments

CGSI ยท 2006-04-13 00:16

Hey Guys I was just wondering if anyone had ever considered if rental equipment attachments or new attachment posed a threat to your hydraulic systems with mixing various other users oils into your systems. I just bought a new grapple and i think i will purge that before I use it but i was just wondering about items i might go an rent. The New Holland LX 565 takes a 10W30 SM/CD motor oil in everything but the final drives and i have no idea what would happen if it cross contaminated with hydraulic fluid. Anybody have a quick sure fire way to purge the item? I know i could put a flat face coupler on the one hose and blow it out with the other couple connected to my machine but i am sure I will eventually take a heck of a bath in oil.:Banghead

Replies2
  1. #1Wulf2006-04-13 02:12

    You make a good point but I would be more concerned about contamination from oil with high particle counts or attachments with damaged internal components than just a small reduction in oil viscosity or its properties

  2. #2CGSI2006-04-13 02:28

    I agree about the particles but the filter system should trap most of them. The viscosity is not the end of the world but mixing 2 totaly different types of oil scares the heck out of me. Time to by more of my own hydraulic attachments....