Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A question for the indy mechanics

repowerguy ยท 2017-06-24 20:45

What do you guys do for health care insurance? I've had a lot of calls lately for short work and have entertained the thought of going on my own. I believe there is enough work to make decent money at but the insurance keeps me where I'm at for now. Let's keep this civil and non political, I just am seeking some of the solutions you have found.

Replies4
  1. #1ohiofleet2017-06-24 21:04

    buy it is all you can do i have 4 kids it cost me 2100 a month with a 2500 a year deductable

  2. #2wrwtexan2017-06-24 23:58

    You have to be an active member in a church but I left TxDOT and went to MediShare. I have myself, wife and 3 kids (4, 2,2) on it for ~$380 a month. It is a health sharing organization but we have been well served by them. I lost the end of a finger to staph 2 years ago and with a 3 day hospital stay, all we paid was our $5K 'portion'. I had us on a basic $6k deductible Blue Cross plan through the bozocare exchange and before we left them, it was up to $800 per month and would now be well over $1200. Insurance for my family as my wife is a stay at home mom was my greatest fear going solo but with MediShare , I haven't looked back.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-06-25 08:47

    If you establish an LLC and pay yourself a very modest salary you may qualify for a premium subsidy or possibly get it all paid for. Often kids will be covered by Medicaid and the parents get coverage very reasonable. You can go to healthcare.gov and plug some hypothetical numbers in to see what it would cost. Of course it will change whenever ACA is changed or replaced. Healthcare is the biggest moving target there is right now!

  4. #4PJ The Kid2017-06-26 12:08

    Healthcare is the only reason I have not started a business of my own. I work for the city and my insurance is dirt cheap for really good coverage. Had a kid a few weeks ago and was around $1000 out of pocket. Looked into insurance a few years back when the shop I was at didn't provide it and for me alone, was $1500 a month with a $7500 deductible. Had supplied insurance at the dealers, but it was a joke, Left simply because of the benefits in general. Took huge paycut off the top, but now have cheap insurance, pension, another retirement plan, eye insurance, dental, free health clinic for me and my family, and if I'd quit smoking and chewing, Id get cheaper insurance yet.