Hi folks, I was out in the bush riding my dirt bike the other day and came upon this piece of equipment. I am no expert on heavy equipment but this is certainly a road grader and from a little research it appears to be an Adams Leaning Wheel grader. There is not nor was there ever an engine on this grader and it seems, (based upon the front hitch), that it was pulled by either a tractor or a dozer rather than a horse. I just joined this forum and thought I would ask the experts a few questions. I am going out today to get a bunch of measurements such as wheelbase, blade width, overall length, etc. I looked all over the machine to find a plate that would tell me things such as date of manufacture, serial #, etc...but could not find one...maybe I was not looking in the right place. This machine is quite large as well and appears to have been painted in red and yellow. Here are some pictures and any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.
Update Hi again, I went out today and took a bunch of measurements of the grader. I also took a bunch more pictures which I will post. Unfortunately I was unable to find any plate that woul give me an indication as to what model, serial#, and manufacturer that is associated with the grader. First I should say that this was clearly towed by a tractor or dozer as you will see from the picture of the hitch on the tongue. Also this machine was either painted red, with a yellow primer, or it was originally yellow, (CAT color), and then painted red after the fact...you will be able to see that in the pics as well. Here is some measurements: Blade is 8 ft. Wheelbase is 13 ft. Tongue is 10 ft. Rear wheel diameter is 36 in. Front wheel diameter is 30 in. Height is about 5 ft 6 in. Front wheel to front wheel is 5 ft Rear wheel to rear wheel is 7 ft 6 in. Here are a few pics...
update 2 Some more pics from todays cold hike in the woods...
Update 3 Last bunch of pics...
It look to be all there,see if you can have it and get out of there
Get it out of there, get it home and restore it. Who knows on the red color if it is original or not. Could it be Austin Western? Or were they not around at that time yet
I would say it was yellow,it could be IHC>AW CAT I will go back and look closer at the pic .
Back then they were called maintainers
Nice find there! Looks from your pictures that it is all complete. Seems a shame for it to just be sitting out there rusting away. Is it on private or public ground? If its on public ground, I would figure out a way to get it to a road and then to my house! Private I might try to find the owner.
Allis-chalmers maybe?
Great find & complete Good for a front gate marker/landmark
Thx Guys, It does appear to be completely intact and just parked there many years ago. I can probably get ownership of it if I remove it....which will take some work...IE tree removal. Thanks again....still a bit of a mystery as to the actual manufacturer and date of origin.