Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A redneck (sort of) electrical repair

willie59 ยท 2011-08-14 12:09

Well, it's nice and toasty outside, summer is rocking along. The wife has an '04 Explorer that has a problem with RF power window. Baffles me, but she's one of those types that prefers riding with the windows down as opposed to using A/C, says it give her a headache. So, there's the problem, RF window won't go down = momma ain't happy. Enter> Me. :tong Pull door panel off, actually a nice design by Ford, really easy to pull that panel. Using a test light, I discover two things rather quickly, 1) it's a fairly simple circuit, and 2) there's some form of window control module hidden somewhere on this vehicle, prolly in some god awful position under dash, that is causing the problem with window no go down. Here's what happens; window motor only has two wires going to it, red/wht (up) and wht/red (dwn). The change of direction, up/dwn, happens by the control module (somewhere on vehicle) switching the ground of these two wires. At the switch, the brn/blu ground wire for up works proper, wht/yel for down is faulty. Ok, so I know what the problem is, question is, 1) where is the control module, and 2) I can only imagine how much it costs. I'm quite certain the cost would result in a grrrrrrr by my tightwad self, not to mention I want to get this thing working now, the momma not happy factor ya know. :yup So, I have a theory, have to test it out. Now that I have clipped the two ground wires going to control module, strip back the ground wires. Connect the wht/yel (dwn ground) from switch to brn/blu (up ground) harness wire going to control module. Vuala...window goes down. Connect brn/blu from switch back to brn/blu going to module, window goes up. Sweet! So my theory worked. Question is, how does one make this circuit work by sending two grounding wires to one ground and not get feedback to opposite circuit? Simple, rectifier diodes, at a wallet busting (not) price of about .75 cents apiece from my local Radio Shack. Before I actually terminal crimp the diodes into the circuit, gotta make certain they are going to do the job. Connect diodes to brn/blu module ground wire, then connect the diodes to the ground wires from switch, window now goes up and down. Excellent! Who's ur daddy now! Go willie, go willie! :drinkup Now that I know it works, connect the diodes to wires with butt terminals and rap it up, fit the door panel. Peace and harmony with momma has be restored.

Replies28
  1. #1RobVG2011-08-14 12:33

    Very cool :cool2

  2. #2Lee-online2011-08-14 12:41

    Good job, does it still work from both drivers and passenger switch? If it like my truck then there is a GEM (generic electronic module) under the dash that controls the windows.

  3. #3John C.2011-08-14 15:14

    Nice Job Willie! I do have a thought that won't work through this simple old brain. Generally when you have a computer controller, functions are controlled on the ground wire. From your description, the system has to be a simple power circuit and I would guess the controllers are in the motor case. If a controller were used, closing the switch to one direction would allow a small current to flow to the controller on the ground side telling the brain you wanted the window to move in a particular direction. It would then ground the power circuit to the motor letting a bigger current turn the motor. Instead of using three wires to make a simple system work, We now have eight. We have inflated the complexity and cost as well as reducing the life of the system. It's all part of that planned replacement scheme to keep money flowing through the system. Now that you have committed the crime of saving money and then telling everyone how simple it can be, you will have to dig a tunnel out of the house so you can escape when you hear that loud knocking on the front door in the middle of the night.

  4. #4willie592011-08-14 15:28

    Nope, won't operate from driver control panel, I had a feeling this would be sacrificed, but hey, window goes up/down, take victories as they come no matter how small. LoL, then this ain't the first time I've committed such a "criminal act". Better get to diggin' eh?

  5. #5Tinkerer2011-08-14 18:18

    As someone said once before. That is pretty slick Willie !

  6. #6cps2011-08-14 20:20

    Yep no matter how many customers are shouting down the fone on a Monday morning about there machines broke down there's something about keeping the lady's in your life from moaning on a Sunday afternoon that becomes top priority! Nice job by the way willie!

  7. #7willie592011-08-14 22:02

    LoL, got that right cps, momma is job #1.

  8. #8Justin2011-08-15 16:08

    so if you really want to make her happy give her a stick to push the button from the drivers seat. And then you could take the (sort of) out of the title of this thread

  9. #9willie592011-08-15 18:09

    LoL, and have Up printed on one end and down on the other end of stick. Nice.

  10. #10FSERVICE2011-08-15 21:46

    Willie you might want to give the stick idea a little thought she could use it on you instead of the switch. :badidea lol

  11. #11willie592011-08-15 21:50

    LoL, I ain't concerned about the stick. If you think about it, womens have the inherent ability to choose from a vast array of weapons.

  12. #12Randy882011-08-20 07:38

    Fast, simple and neat and cheap, and she's still happy, life doesn't get any better than that. Would it help if we got some other women we know to have a chat with her to explain to her its "not working quite right yet or like it used to before you fixed it"? Sorry I just had to mention that, its what I hear around my house from time to time after thinking I did something good and saved money.

  13. #13willie592011-08-20 10:09

    Likely as we all have heard on occasion. In this case, me thinks she is satisfied to have window go up and down. :yup

  14. #14jimrr2011-08-24 10:50

    yea, that was a good job on the window, bummer both controls don't work .................. it's about the time you finish someone tells you........ ,''those defective units plug in right beside the turn signal flasher''!

  15. #15OldandWorn2011-08-24 12:12

    Prolly a broken wire inside the rubber boot from door to frame on driver's door.

  16. #16Randy882011-08-24 22:34

    Jimrr, now thats funny, but exactly how my life works.

  17. #17willie592011-08-24 22:55

    Truth is stranger than fiction.

  18. #18Axle2011-08-28 21:23

    Just for peace of mind, there is no window control module, the closest to a control module is the drivers side switch as everything gets routed to or from it, everything is hardwired via the window switches. Ford isn't even using relays for polarity reversal anymore. Alex.

  19. #19ridgelane2011-10-24 00:32

    Does the rectifier allow the current to switch from one wire to the next or what purpose does it serve? I have a similar condition in my hay baler and rigged it on two single throw, double pole switches but rectifiers, if they will work, would do the job much better.

  20. #20willie592011-10-24 19:25

    Hi ridgelane, in this case the diodes provide ground for two circuits joined to a single ground wire. Without the diodes there is power feedback between the two circuits that prevents window motor from operating. Can you describe the circuit problem you're having with your baler?

  21. #21ridgelane2011-10-25 10:02

    Hi Willie59.. My baler uses a 12V DC motor to extend and retract the twine arm. The message for the twine arm to be activated comes from the implement module. I have power into the module but intermittent power coming out to the twine arm. Mostly no power coming out. The twine arm motor has only two wires so the reversing takes place when the hot and ground switch wires to the motor. I am not sure what in the module, makes the forward /reverse action to take place. I was wondering if rectifiers do the job. For the time being, as I said, I rigged the motor with two single throw double pole switches to switch polarity for each process but the module will need to be fixed properly. I did manage to find a place that does this type of work.

  22. #22willie592011-10-25 19:22

    Agreed, repair or replacement of module would be proper repair. But if you're able and comfortable operating the arm with two toggle switches, since all you are doing is reversing polarity to the motor, it would be real simple to do that with just a single toggle switch. What you need is a DPDT, momentary, On-Off-On, center return toggle switch like shown at this link: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Toggle-Switch-1XWT1?Pid=search You would wire the six terminals on the back of switch like this:

  23. #23Iron@Dirt2011-10-25 21:49

    Willie you sure spent a lot of time helping people out on the forum since o8, 6178 posts, WOW. That deserves a great big applause.

  24. #24willie592011-10-25 21:54

    LoL, naw, I'm just having too much fun Iron@Dirt. :drinkup

  25. #25OldandWorn2011-10-25 22:43
  26. #26willie592011-10-25 23:22

    Now that's just funny OldandWorn. LMAO!

  27. #27OldandWorn2011-10-25 23:33

    We would be standing but it's getting too hard on the ole hips and knees. I think I even see grandpa back there stirring up a breeze

  28. #28ridgelane2011-10-26 00:37

    Thanks.. I had my stategy planned out for a DPDT switch but when I got to my cache, I found only the two SPDT switches. They got me through the last 200 bales and now I have winter to get the module repaired. I prefer the all automatic over manual, saves twine..