Today I broke the tip off my favourite screwdriver. Here it is besides the new one I keep in stock to mitigate this very eventuality, but it's not the same. It will probably be in my estate auction before it can achieve a similar patina and hand-feel. *Pray for RS 544-667* (and don't worry about the 2014 desk pad. I like to keep a few years worth of those in stock as well.)
Sorry for your loss. Your screwdriver is in a better place now.
It could have been worse. Could have ended up in the belly of some lost at sea machine! At least now it can be ground down to serve a special function and spend the rest of it's life in the drawer molested tools.
It's never easy losing a trusted companion. Sorry for your loss.
Can you spare one? I could use a new 2014 desk pad.
I don't have any screwdrivers that I feel that way about, my little crescent wrench that I keep in my pocket at all times is another story, it is a part of me
Pocket knives are my personal tool that I get attached to. I had to fly out somewhere a long time ago and when I got to the airport and checked in I remembered that I had my small folding knife in my pocket as I was in line at security. I would have had to go home except that it had been used a couple times to jump start machines. Blade had some bites out so I figured it was time for a new one anyway. It was still hard to open my hand to let it fall in box when I got to the head of the line.
Make sure you keep him around so he can maintain a feeling of self worth and dignity.
I too suffered a loss recently,vintage Snapon small strikable prybar, snapped the tip off..come to find out they don't even make the replaceable blades anymore and sent me a brandy spankin' new shiny round thing that doesn't match the rest of the set..Luckily due to covid and mail order warranty I got to keep the old one and just ground 'er down a little....Sorry for your loss....
But it is only disabled, you could probably get money from the government to continue to employ the services from the now disabled screwdriver.
Me 2,they are like backhoes the best thing to have when you don’t have what you need
RIP RS 544-667 Sorry for your loss Cmark. At least it didn't meet its end in the bowels of a Perkins powered 843 Bobcat, what a hellish place to spend eternity.
A couple of minutes on a bench grinder and she lives on as a sweet chisel.
I have a leatherman that goes in my pocket everyday. I have had it for 15 year and that is half my life. I dont know what i will do the day it dies a part of me will die with it.
Let us have a moment together, to reflect on what RS 544-667 has meant to Cmark through the years. The numerous disasters that have been avoided and overcome. The number of screws that haven't fallen loose thanks to the extra "that'll do it" torque provided by its acetate handles. The just right shank, not too short, and just long enough. How the spin of the handle in the hand, after a brilliant solution to a difficult repair- like a six shooter specialist holstering a fine Colt revolver. What a blessed screwdriver it has been. Please forgive Cmark for falling into the "a screwdriver=prybar= chisel" circle of destruction trap. We've all had those moments. By the unscarred shank, we know Cmark cared for this screwdriver, as it shows no electrical testing marks- that some lesser screwdrivers have been forced into enduring. And like mana from heaven, Cmark has received another RS 544-667. It is not a replacement for RS 544-667, but a poor substitute, for nothing can compare to the original. We will end with holding hands and a short hymn of "Blest be the driver that tightens" .
Ol’e RS 544-667 looks to have the old-school Cellulose Acetate handle with that particular smell when left in the drawer for too long. edit: crane operator beat me regarding the acetate
Cmark - Cremation or burial.? Where do we send flowers or is it donations to a charity.?
I vote craneop to give my eulogy. I found myself on the edge of shedding a tear.
Were you a bad man and use it as a pry bar?
I too feel your loss. I still have my large Klien blade drive I got from one of my Uncles when I started my apprenticeship(40 yrs ago). It has been used as a screwdriver, pry bar, punch, and now mostly a punch/chisel. It’s hard life started tightening lock nuts and popping out misplaced staples. The places it has been...... I am sure that we who use tools all have a favourite that can bring back memories and some of us are glad that they can not talk. May RS 544-667 find a drawer bottom to linger in that occasionally gets opened to let some of those memories out.
Hmmm. I think I might pile it up with rocks, cowboy style. And you can donate to my charity if you feel the urge. And yes, I'm guilty of breaking it by using it as a prydriver and you know the worst part? I was working on an effing little John Deere yard tractor for a neighbour so I can't even add it onto someone's bill. By now I'm sure by now some of you have googled the part number and all I can say it that if you can get hold of them, they are highly recommended.
Your killing me CO. I almost spit my coffee out reading your post. I vote we send it off in a blaze of glory. There must be an of Detroit diesel around there, you could ark it across the starter solenoid a couple times to finish it off. PS. sorry for your loss.
This is the first thread that I have ever got a big enough kick out of to show my wife, she was laughing too. You guys are great.
That part has gotta hurt worse than losing your best friend......!!
Sorry for the untimely demise demise of your screwdriver. I guess you are screwed.
nooo detroit that demands a rolls royce
Well I'm probably oldern that screwdriver but you can't be sad about it man! If I had that much screwing and only broke the tip................. I'd be rejoicing.
You're going to have to give me some lead time, I can't make up something on the spur of the moment. I'll need like 6-8 months, so let me know if you're not feeling well, or are planning on doing something or someone that might be dangerous. I can make you sound like a better person, if I'm in the will.
Ha- one more for the eulogy business.......
It's funny how so many can feel your pain and share the weird attachment to a particular tool. When I was young and would see an old guy's collection of tools in all kinds of disarray I thought to myself I would never get that way and now my crap is everywhere. My goal now is to have less tools and be able to get by with what is in my pockets and in-between my ears. So glad you had the backup on hand!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected...243p=e_as&_branch_match_id=895844160933939907
I lost an adjustable yesterday, it hurts a little. Maybe it will find it's way home.
I always "lose" things and then find them a week later stuffed in the wrong place. If I really can't find one, the sure way to find it is to order a new one.
My great big ol' Craftsman screwdriver/prybar/chisel/punch from about 1980 is known in this shop as "my favorite screwdriver". It has the scars to prove it. Dang sure is. When it suffers such an injury, there will be a service like the one discussed in this thread. I am certain I will not find the same quality, even on the dang Strap-On truck. I am very sorry for your loss.
dos n't rank up there with that poor screwdriver but I'd hate to lose it
I was looking at the hand holding the mini pipe wrench and thinking "man look at those wrinkles". Then I looked at my left hand and realized ........ I'm older than you!!!
just think of the stories our tools could tell if they could talk
When you sober up you will feel SO SILLY! If you remember.
could be
The worst part about ordering the new one is finding the old one 2 drawers down the day after the new one arrives...but then you can lose the old one again...
most of mine would accuse me of unjust treatment, not used for the proper application and abuse and my leatherman would be leading the parade.
That’s never a problem. Because then you have a backup. 9/16 and 10mm sockets come to mind
10 mm anythings vanish .immediatly
Three pages of mourning. It’s good for the healing process.
With a touch of smoothing it’s now a fine duo cone seal installer
This is a very entertaining thread. I'm going to add to it. My CP-952 model "A" needle scaler stopped working last week. I dug into my tool files to identify parts for it and found out that it is older than I am. It was my grandfather's. And I will pay just about any amount of money to get it back in action.
Did you find anything obviously wrong with it? Might be able to get or adapt parts to it some of the CP designs they currently make are obviously very long in the tooth.
I haven't torn it down yet. Been pretty busy lately with an engine swap in my service truck and then trying to catch up on the time lost on it. And I outsource as much welding as I can to a guy who welds faster and charges less per hour than I do. (To be perfectly honest; he is a better welder as well) So the needle gun is more of a personal issue than professional. It could be a simple as the piston just being stuck. Been pretty wet here lately and I am shamefully bad at remembering to lube my pneumatic tools when I pull them out of the truck.
But, I do absolutely hate it when any of my "legacy" tools die. It makes me feel like I have let down my father and his father.
I thought that is why we don't replace compressor rings, they autolube the air tools