Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A transmission question

chidog · 2022-07-27 04:59

What is the largest automatic or power shift transmission made? Torque capacity etc. and what is it used in? I know about the CLBT's and CLT Allisons, and of course the big cat dozer transmissions. I found this cat but no real size specs on it or use. TH55-E90 Do they use these in the large mining trucks?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-07-27 05:48

    I would have thought the transmission used in the Cat 797 mining truck. That's bigger than any dozer transmission and has a 3500 BHP engine hooked to the front of it.

  2. #2Nige2022-07-27 08:25

    That’s an oil & gas industry pumping transmission.

  3. #3chidog2022-07-27 14:10

    Would the 797 mining truck trans be much larger then? There is just not much info about the big transmissions that I have found. Yeah I didn't see at first, that TH55-E90 has no reverse so that would be a problem for a big truck.

  4. #4Nige2022-07-27 14:44

    TH55-E90 maximum rated input power 3000 BHP. 797F Net power 3800 FWHP. The 797 transmission can handle 20+% more power, so on that basis it's bigger.