Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A very sad day for our Skagit…..

Hallback ยท 2015-06-09 20:40

Our beloved lil BU-50 took a 36-38" pine into the drumset & engine today. Preliminary assessment shows two broken air rams, compressor, possible engine block, radiator, broken haulback shaft & friction cams, broken mainline shaft, numerous smashed manifolds, valves and tinwork and a possible twisted drum frame (cast steel). It is insured but I do not know how that works and if they will repair it up to the insured amount or replace it for up to the insured amount? Anyone have to go thru this before?

Replies45
  1. #1John C.2015-06-09 22:07

    Sorry to hear of the loss and certainly hope no one was hurt. Did a stump pull or a log come down off the hill above? The insurance company can do it a couple of different ways depending on the type of insurance you have. The insurer has three options, repair it by having shops provide bids and getting it done, replace it with like kind and quality or offer you a cash settlement and total it out. If they total it out they will find someone to provide a salvage value and usually offer you the chance to buy it back and you can do anything you want with it. Most insurance companies I've dealt with don't want to pay someone to retrieve the salvage and dispose of it so they are kind of liberal on selling it back to the owner. Most of the big losses like this that I've been involved in, the insurance company totals the machine out, pays you the insured value and then offers you the salvage. Even at that it is always a stressful process to go through. Good Luck!

  2. #2Hallback2015-06-09 23:31

    Thanks John. A 35-36" pine came down from shovel logging above. No injuries except for the poor lil yarder. I have a feeling it will be 60-70k at the minimum.

  3. #3Blk prince2015-06-14 17:01

    Hallback,so what is happening with the yarder? Repair or replace?

  4. #4Hallback2015-06-14 18:02

    Depends on what the repair estimate comes to. It gets moved to the shop monday or tuesday.

  5. #5Vigilant2015-06-14 19:47

    It is hard enough to make it in that line of work these days. I hate it for you. Persevere.

  6. #6Hallback2015-06-16 22:30

    Bill Paulson and I went & looked at it today. He figures it's salvageable so now we move forward. He is the smartest guy I know with yarders.

  7. #7Blk prince2015-06-17 00:00

    Think only positive thoughts,carry on and good luck

  8. #8kiwi450x2015-06-17 04:50

    Ouch. So, in the meantime, you're shoveling timber to keep some cashflow going?

  9. #9Hallback2015-06-17 08:53

    Actually we are down as all the shovel ground is done.

  10. #10Former Wrench2015-06-17 14:20

    Where abouts were you at? I lived in the North River area for awhile years back.

  11. #11Vigilant2015-06-17 19:58

    Bet you have been to the Brooklyn Tavern too, eh? In case you have not heard, Ray Damitio has passed, and his widow sold the tavern to Ray's grandson. From what I hear, It is a whole different crown of patrons now. Probably very few knock down drag out fights any more, if any. They resurfaced the floor, and entirely COVERED Snoose Creek. Blasphemy!

  12. #12Vigilant2015-06-17 20:09

    Best of wishes to you, Hallback. I hope they get you up and running pronto.

  13. #13Former Wrench2015-06-18 12:06

    Vigilant I knew that Ray had passed. I was in the neighborhood a few years back and stopped by but it was in the middle of the week and it was closed. I talked to Reggie while there who told me he had stopped drinking so that might have slowed the fighting somewhat. I noticed that Bruce (the surveyor) had a big garden growing so I assumed he was doing OK. (His truck was not there so I did not stop). I will miss the snooze creek, the local logging show, the road rally, and all of the other things that Ray did. He was a real interesting guy to talk with.

  14. #14Vigilant2015-06-18 21:28

    I knew all about the Tavern. I heard about it years ago as a kid. I took my father out that way in 1995. I told him we needed to stop and see the inside of the Tavern. He flatly refused. It was not out of any kind of disdain; he stated that he did not want to be carried back out on a stretcher. I had always heard that if you were not a logger and from that area, that is pretty much how you would leave that place. I went back out that way myself in the Spring of 2002. I myself thrived on managing adversity long before I went to work inside the fence. I talked to Ray outside and told him that I knew I had no right to be there, but that my father used to work for Weyco Twin Harbors years ago, and had surveyed a large portion of Weyco's land holdings in that area. I asked Ray if he knew a gent my father used to work with name John McMeekin, aka Oakville Johnny. I knew that McMeekin had worked for Saginaw Timber for some amout of time. Ray's eyes lit up and he said that he and Johnny used to go to school together as kids... in Oakville. So, Ray cordially invited me inside. I bellied up to the bar, and Ray told me that he was going to see how good I was. He showed me an old photo of a young lad sitting on a chopped out wooden tub full of tools, huge chain and various hooks and tackle, and asked me what that young lad would be called back in the day. I smiled and said, "Well I would usually refer to him in a more profane manner, but since some of these good folks might have sensitive feelings, I will have to settle for the 'Pig Fornicator'. The whole placed broke out in a good belly laugh. The faller sitting next to me was fit to be tied. He wanted to fight SOO badly that he was squirming in his seat, but his curiosity won the battle... for a while at least. We started talking about fishing at Fall River and picking up agates and petrified wood, then moved on to the old kids' TV shows. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and half growled: "Ya remember Crazy Donkey?". My response: "I sure do. He was on J P Patches, right?". My next-seat neighbor jumped off his bar stool, balled up his fists, and growled loudly: "Crazy Donkey was on BRAKEMAN BILL!". I didn't skip a beat. I replied, "You're right, and I feel pretty bad about missing that. I believe I need to pay the penalty". He replied, "YEAH! ....... Uh, what's the penalty?". I said, I believe I need to buy everybody a round of beer. Hey Ray. How much for a round of beer for everyone?". He counted it all up and gave me a number. I paid him and tipped him $5.00 and got a big smile of approval. He passed out the beer, the old faller next to me started to settle down. We had a little small talk here and there, and someone else said, "Hey, ya know, You're alright". I replied, I appreciate that. Truly. And I did. I went on to say, I wish I could stick around, but I'm running short on time. I have really enjoyed this". (I thought that was a very good note to leave on under the circumstances). I started easing toward the door, got a few seemingly sincere well wishes along the way, and when I opened the door to leave, I turned around and said. "I wish every one of you the best. Y'awl have a great day. You could have heard a pin drop, and you could almost hear the jaws drop. I eased the door shut, and exited stage right. Hey Mr. Wrench: Did you fish Fall River while you were there, or had that crazy turdhead already plastered 'no trespassing' signs everywhere?

  15. #15Blk prince2015-06-29 20:34

    Hall back,what is the latest info on your Skagit? Is it being fixed,can you find necessary parts? Maybe a few pictures. Hope things turn out well

  16. #16Hallback2015-06-30 09:52

    Actually I meet the appraiser today at 10 to go over the machine. We were moving it back last monday and lost a steer & drive tire at the same time then 30 minutes later lost another steer tire. The second steer failure really wreaked havoc on the air & fluid lines under the truck, blew the headlights out of it and really tore it up. Good thing nobody was coming in the other lane as it would have been bad! That poor yarder is cursed.

  17. #17Blk prince2015-06-30 11:30

    Is the machine self powered or was it on a lowbed truck? How far was it traveling? This is taking a fair bit of time just to get started. Good luck.

  18. #18Vigilant2015-06-30 21:55

    I believe it is truck mounted on a Kenworth K100. Correct?

  19. #19Hallback2015-07-02 21:18

    Yes, on a K100. Here are a couple roadside shots.

  20. #20Hallback2015-07-02 21:20

    Appraiser is most likely going to total it.

  21. #21Blk prince2015-07-02 22:06

    What will be the next plan? Can it be bought back and used for parts?what is in the background? Possibly Amtrak?

  22. #22Hallback2015-07-02 22:23

    I would hope to buy it back as there are lots of good parts on it still. That is the wildlife feeding station in Naches Wa.

  23. #23Blk prince2015-07-02 23:12

    Thanks for info.good plan to but it back. Any plans for a replacement?

  24. #24Knocker of rock2015-07-03 01:22

    Been rock climbing there many many times.

  25. #25Vigilant2015-07-03 01:55

    I have to say, that is one nice looking old truck. Looks like somewhere between 1973 and 1975 vintage. Best of wishes again in a fair and prompt resolution. I doubt the insurance company cares much. They are not the one making the payment.

  26. #26Hallback2015-07-03 09:43

    I have my eye on a 77 M1 Berger listed on MLS. Anyone have any info on this? http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/1977-berger-m1-yarder-723296

  27. #27Hallback2015-07-03 09:45

    Truck is a 76 and luckily all iron is paid off except for the shovel. Still lots of costs even when not running though.

  28. #28lg junior2015-07-03 13:14

    The very first metal tower that I worked around was a 65 foot Berger. We always joked that it needed buckle guys because it shook and wobbled so bad that the tube would hit the guylines. There is an eye on the trailer just in front of the fifth wheel. We would hook the drumline of the cat to that and deck logs on top the line to hold the front of the trailer down. Was a real easy machine to move with the cat and dolly, didn't weigh as much as their M2. They did break the ball that the tube stands on, the tube didn't fall but it took quite a bit of work to get it down without making a bigger mess. By the pictures it appears to be a pretty nice looking machine. My only question would be, how long has it been setting? Good luck with everything!

  29. #29Hallback2015-07-03 18:14

    Well, sounds like it may be totaled. Now to find a replacement. Any suggestions?

  30. #30Blk prince2015-07-03 18:35

    I will send you a PM.

  31. #31Vigilant2015-07-03 19:21

    Have you contacted our mutual friend Rusty... er... Contract.... up in God's country? I'll bet you have his phone number.

  32. #32Hallback2015-07-03 20:50

    I haven't yet. I should shoot him a call. Eric always knows where iron is.

  33. #33Vigilant2015-07-03 20:53

    Yep. And also what some good model options are. Right now, he may be a little busy gloating over his latest truck purchase: a vintage KW W9.

  34. #34Hallback2015-07-03 21:21

    Haha, he is always buying!

  35. #35Vigilant2015-07-03 21:49

    He stole this one!

  36. #36Hallback2015-07-03 23:10

    Damn horse thief!

  37. #37Blk prince2015-07-03 23:49

    Hall back,I am going to look into that mini and ask some questions. I will keep you informed

  38. #38Vigilant2015-07-03 23:56

    From what I hear, those Alaska folks are like that. Lots of yards full of old iron up that way.

  39. #39donkey doctor2015-07-04 01:27

    That looks like Ryler Bulk's old colours. d.d.

  40. #40Hallback2015-07-04 08:26

    Oh, they are! I spent 7 years up there and know it well!

  41. #41Blk prince2015-07-29 09:13

    Hallback,did you get another cable Yarder? Are you still in business? Have not heard how you made out with insurance.

  42. #42Hallback2015-07-30 17:43

    Ya, still working but just shovel logging. No yarder for me for awhile, I am enjoying being a one man band.

  43. #43Vigilant2015-07-31 02:39

    Best of wishes, sir. Persevere.

  44. #44getoan2015-08-02 11:17

    Those 30+" trees sure have a way of sledding down slope further than you can believe! How do you like the 2954 in the steep stuff?

  45. #45Hallback2015-08-08 20:20

    The 2954 is very stable on steep ground. I wish it had more travel power and single bar grousers but thats what we all want right?