This is a couple of blocks from my shop, and I had said I would get a picture of a 977 for the big CL thread. Let's begin with hammering things. Some carcasses to be rebuilt? A field of breaker bits. more hammers The ball tip and flat tip break slabs without sending frag into your windows. I have used a round tip like this one when I worked for them.
Rack if bits handy stand for your breaker when switching back and forth. Another shot of that wicked grinder
a little magnet On a little Kobelco A big magnet and a few gigantic guards. They look like they mount on a drill head with some sort of destructive tool.
A few of dozens of long reach 3 part boom kits. Here is one parked in the upright position with a cruncher attachment. Lots of kit here
A few buckets? Straight skid steer buckets Buckets with top clamps A few skid steers. Looks like more buckets than skid steers.
This uber tall rig is in the paint shop. Lot going on there with telescoping and bending twice. Holding the hoses is a 90 ton P & H 790 TC one of several 700 Hitachis One next to a trio of 470 John Deeres.
You used to be able to get some good deals on equipment when they had the sales yard & hard to find parts too. If Wayne is still in the shack at the west end of the yard say 'hi' from the guy that bought the Hitachi crawler crane and had to move it off-site that day because the owner was so pissed.
Thanks for the photos. It's been a long time since I've been in there.
Website says permanently closed. What happened? d,d,
looked like a half dozen mechanics running around. Not very closed. @Crummy I did not go into that far west office. I will try to remember Wayne.
Wonder why they have the hammers on machines in the horizontal position as it's bad for the seals. I do like that hammer stand though.
I have dozens more pictures to pool through. Big shear Another shear in pieces
hidden away, a poor rusty Marooka with a track in the bed and not on the ground. Grabencruncher Turtleheads grapple little bit 'O snip. little bit 'O grab.
There were 5 trucks, but the two C models left for parts unknown. Now it is just the 3 "B"s
you don't see big thumb setups like this often. 3 takeoffs from the 700 Hitachis, big ugly rock movers and well worn.
Apparently the B's run OK. They decided to rearrange the deck chairs
My stupid question for the day What's on the other end of the magnet for power? Big extension cord or ? Joe H
Most machines these days have hydraulic generators but some still have gas or diesel powered units.
Most the scrap handlers I've had to inspect in the last twenty years have had an extra hydraulic circuit added to the machine that drives a hydraulic motor which drives the generator set. I don't know the voltage that the system runs at but the cords between the magnet and genset were three wire and each wire was 2/0 welding cable. There is switching in the cab that will turn the magnet on and off as needed. All this is horribly expensive to purchase and install on the machine. They were all set up to run an orange peel grapple as well.
Thanks, figured a gen but hadn't thought of hydraulic drive. Joe H
I have installed a few that were all self contained and just plumb into aux lines on boom. Makes it nice for demo contractors that switch attachments a lot. There are no electronic controls or anything and the aux circuit runs a generator built into the top of the magnet.
that sounds slick, and really expensive.
I looked into it a couple of years ago for a client. The mag unit was over $40K in the crate.
The little boy in me (and full grown man I've become) can sit and watch magnetic scrap moving all day. My kid's school is next to a couple scrap yards so I get to peek inside their gates occasionally and get to see it in action. I don't know how long before that job gets boring but I think I'd be tempted to find out. I'm assuming that's not the kind of job they'll offer to some middle-aged dude who has run a backhoe for a bit, in his yard.
If you are able bodied, relatively intelligent, can pass a drug test, and will shop up on time every time, you would probably be surprised who/what they will hire.
^ +1 In my line of work I can tell in a few hours and sometimes minutes if somebody is cut out for it.
What kind of pay we talking? Maybe I should swing in sometime!
Ask
As a friend frequently reminds me: "Them what don't ask, don't get"!
I think a magnet would be extremely useful for separating steel in demo applications and the cost is probably inline or maybe even less than a big shear.
I stopped by the local metal recycler on the hill and dropped off that oil tank from yesterday, and found out the mystery of the 800 komatsu. I had speculated that maybe they parked it there so it would be easy to scrap Nope. They're fitting it with an even bigger shear than the one I put in the post #12 up above. That's the biggest combo I've seen like that. The guys from Modern Machinery are scrambling around on it getting the plumbing right. There's a bunch of them there today, @John C.
Damn that is a big machine.
Who's PC800 is this?
It's at Pearson metal salvage up on Portland Ave.