Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A40D

Dave Neubert ยท 2018-12-01 15:29

the transmission is acting like when you go from 1st to 2nd with it in the drive mode that it goes into 2 gears for a moment it will make a loud clunk and jerk. but if you shift manually it don't do it. does this machine have codes that will show I have someone that can plug into it but don't know how much it will show. The Volvo dealer here wont even give a idea when they can come out to scan it

Replies22
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-12-02 15:11

    Check the oil in your dropbox. ? Aside from that, on your keypad hit the trans icon, scroll down, if there is an active it will be at the bottom of the list.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2018-12-02 16:57

    I will look I don't see a key pad though

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-12-02 16:59

    Bottom left of dash, 12 buttons or so. Pic of eng gears, axles etc

  4. #4Dave Neubert2018-12-02 17:10

    Ok thanks I know nothing about Volvos

  5. #5walkerv2018-12-02 18:35

    If you set asc up to come out when all there techs are swamped you will literally have to call them everyother day to keep getting updates of when they will make it out . I have been there woth them its bad sometimes, try your best to get them to nail down a date

  6. #6walkerv2018-12-02 18:38

    What range is the drop box in. It sounds like it is in high range . When in high it takes off in 2nd low then immediately goes to high of i remember correctly. We ran ours always in low range where my guys hualed they had no need for highrange

  7. #7Dave Neubert2018-12-03 07:30

    I will look is there a high low switch to switch drop box. Machine belongs to a customer they have been trying for 3 weeks to get them out they will not even give them a date

  8. #8funwithfuel2018-12-03 07:37

    Just to the left of the gear selector should be a rocker switch with an L and H on it

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-12-03 07:38

    On your instrument panel below the gear selected a small L or H will be surrounded by a Box dependent on which way you have the rocker flipped

  10. #10Dave Neubert2018-12-03 18:00

    Thanks I found it it seems worse when in low range if something is wrong will the screen give you a code because nothing came up that I could see but the alert and stop light is flashing

  11. #11funwithfuel2018-12-03 18:11

    That would be the central warning. You've probably got a hurt clutch. I guess you're gonna have to rely on the dealer.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2018-12-03 18:39

    Thanks been trying for 3 weeks to get a dealer out to look at it

  13. #13sfrs42018-12-04 05:20

    drop a bit of oil from the trans and check it for debris, or if it's burnt, either is a good sign of a failing clutch pack

  14. #14walkerv2018-12-04 05:22

    Is the customer in polkton? If it is i know the machine and can give you some history

  15. #15funwithfuel2018-12-04 06:28

    I believe it was K2 in the early transmission was identified as a weak link. It's in the extreme rear of the trans. If shrapnel hasn't traveled throughout, it may be salvageable in chassis. Not to give false hope, just a possibility. Good luck

  16. #16Dave Neubert2018-12-04 07:50

    No its in Monroe Center Line Who are you with I should know you

  17. #17walkerv2018-12-04 09:18

    I was with waste connections for the last 8 years , this spring i went to j.o. flowe in midland

  18. #18walkerv2018-12-04 09:30

    2nd is what went out in the one i took care also , not a fun tranny to change, dont think its a weak link persay as it always takes off in 2nd gear especially if drop box is in low

  19. #19Dave Neubert2018-12-04 09:34

    Is there a dip stick on the drop box

  20. #20walkerv2018-12-04 09:36

    I was told from the place i bought tranny from life expectancy is 11k to 13k hours, mine had 12.5k on it when it went out

  21. #21walkerv2018-12-04 09:37

    There is a level plugg on the front left side of it

  22. #22Dave Neubert2018-12-04 09:38

    thanks