Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

AC Clutch

RobVG ยท 2014-04-02 21:42

I've have to replace the AC clutch on one of KW's. Haven't done it before. The pulley got hot and seized (it melted the nylon out of the nylock on the hub). I'm thinking the pulley isn't going to come off easily. I've got a puller buy if that doesn't work, are there any tricks you can think of?

Replies20
  1. #1RZucker2014-04-02 22:11

    Yep... Replace the complete pump. You will just have more issues later. JMO

  2. #2RobVG2014-04-02 22:27

    Dang, that's the answer I didn't want to hear.:cussing

  3. #3willie592014-04-02 22:43

    Hmm, I haven't worked on one that has a nylock nut on the hub. The ones I've worked on has a bolt that holds the disk plate on, remove bolt, disk plate comes off, then you have access to the mag coil and the pulley.

  4. #4RobVG2014-04-02 23:21

    What, I need to take pictures now?

  5. #5jofc2014-04-02 23:29

    Bearing splitters can work as pulley removers quite nicely sometimes.

  6. #6Joeyslushr2014-04-02 23:39

    Odds r the pump will go within the year...

  7. #7FSERVICE2014-04-02 23:49

    if it got that hot the seals in the compressor got almost that hot also!! change it now or when its a 104 in the shade!!!

  8. #8lantraxco2014-04-02 23:53

    The most likely scenario is that the compressor is either seized or has bad bearings, which is what caused the clutch to burn up trying to turn the bad compressor. It is remotely possible you just have bad clutch bearings, but I doubt it.

  9. #9RobVG2014-04-02 23:56

    More good news...

  10. #10willie592014-04-03 00:11

    Yeah knothead...pictures would be nice right about now.

  11. #11Deeretracks2014-04-03 00:51

    Our '08 T800 did that not to long ago. While I had the hood open diagnosing the noise the front seal on the compressor let go and blasted refrigerant and oil everywhere. PAG oil stinks when it hits hot exhaust. I wouldn't trust just swapping the clutch on yours.

  12. #12RobVG2014-04-04 20:44

    Compressor is not seized. The inner race of the pulley is still on the compressor. Considering ways to cut it off. Since I already have the clutch, I'll put it on and see how long it lasts. Any bets? (note the handy dandy hub puller)

  13. #13overworked2014-04-04 22:53

    Usually no puller needed, remove bolt and pop off, then there is a snap ring holding bearing in place.

  14. #14wrenchweld2014-04-04 23:30

    Replace the pump pls. I have done a few cluches only to have the pump seal leak in a month. Then u have to vac and fill the system. I'm just trying to save you some time and some hot time in a truck.

  15. #15sandy2014-04-05 06:52

    Same here

  16. #16caterpillarmech2014-04-05 07:10

    Love the puller. Looks a lot cleaner than some of the stuff I build. I do machine a/c work and I hate to be on the band wagon but, I would go ahead and replace it as well. I wouldn't want the internals to go and then have to replace more parts down the line plus the compressor.

  17. #17RobVG2014-04-05 11:41

    Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Dealer want's $357 for a Sanden compressor. Ebay has a new Sanden "like" unit for $140. Any other sources?

  18. #18lantraxco2014-04-05 15:33

    Red Dot, I usally buy from my local Fleetpride location.

  19. #19Deeretracks2014-04-06 01:09

    Careful with the Ebay ones. Last one I got was stored w/o oil in it and had surface rust inside. Only reason I checked was that my A/C guy warned me. Was still worth a shot since Modern Machinery wanted $900 for it.

  20. #20Joeyslushr2014-04-06 12:52

    I deal with ap air in Iowa. Decent prices and very helpful