One of the trucks has a AC leak. This truck for years need a can every summer. This summer it need more and leaked out in a day. My sniffer said it had a leak in the evaperater its a IH truck were the heater and AC are under the passenger seat. I replaced the evaperater,expansion valve and the dryer. It wouldnt hold a vac for very long. So i reseled every thing i had apart it steal didnt hold any longer. They needed it so i charged it and put in a can of dye. I retested for leaks no luck. It held about a 2 weeks of short trips. Any Ideals would be helpfull.
pressurize it with nitrogen then spay with soap water
check shaft seal on compressor very close
Hell....pressurize it with air.
Nitrogen is way better than compressed air , its a very clean gas. I second or third the compressor shaft leak. Look around the around the clutch for oil or fresh looking dirt.
You put dye in it? The type that shows up under a black light? If so I would have a good look with a black light. After charging the system check the service ports with soapy water. Terry
I presserised it with air and checked with soapy water. It wouldnt be the service port becase it leaked with gauges hooked up ? I was thinking about the compresser. 3 guys have looked at it and there isnt any signs of a leak oily spot any were. I didnt spray around the clutch when i aired it up. I may pull the clutch off next round. No it wasnt the good dye that needs a light.
I never had much luck with the black light , leak detector or sniffer. Soapy water and time. You can put a considerable amount of pressure on these systems. I have heard of one instance where the high pressure side hose would get to operating temp , it would swell enough that it would develop pin holes when shut down it would contract. Hopefully you can find it so others may have this info to fall back on.
alot of clutches have a felt pad around them that will soak up little bits of oil that leaks out , you either have to pull the clutch to inspect the seal or just change it
I may have found the leak. I noticed that on the back of the compresser there is a presser valve or some thing and it is dark around it. I checked it with the sniffer and it set it off. I dont fill very good about this being it but its all i can find. I ordered a new compresor but before i put it on i would like to plug the lines comeing out of it and pull a vac to see if thats the leak. It looks like as bad as it leaks it would make soap bubbles.I have never liked AC work because it some times is a deep money pit.
I got the leak fixed by replaceing the compresser and it worked great until i moved it out of the shop then the compresser wouldnt kick in agin. I think now it has a problem with the Apads controler. At first i could unplug and test things and it would start working but now the compresser dosent have any juice to it no matter what i do.
Yuck apads I haven't dealt with one of those in forever.if I still have some trouble shooting for one and someone don't beat me to it I will pass it onto you
Wait what year and model is truck are you sure it has apads module or is it IH multiplex computer controlled ac?
you use to be able to get a bypass kit for apads
Its a 9400i i dont remember the year because of useing the serial number to get parts. It has the apads controler bolted to the ether can holder on the drivers side firewall.
I wonder if it could be done away with. I know theres 2 termanals in the apads plugin that if hooked together will make the compresser run. If it was my truck i would wire around it in a heart beat.
I got a new apads and switch it kicked the compresser on this was saturday i was going to button it up today monday but it stoped working. It seamed to have a bad wire or conecter because every time i messed with it it would start working for a while so i tested every wire to see and no luck. I did find one thing if i probe the hot wire on the clutch and put juice to it for asecond it would kick in and stay. I called a IH shop and they were very help full but no one seams to have had alot to do with one before. One guy said the body computer was hooked in to it also and maybe that was part of it. Im realy thinking about a rewire.