This is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. My 6R has about a dozen access panels with lockable closures. What is normally done to prevent vandalism and such with those panels. Am I supposed to buy locks for all of them? Or maybe just bolting them shut is sufficient? What is commonly done in the industry? Ken
Lots of people buy the Cat locks for them, so you always have the right key. This keeps the common vandals out, and the kids up to no good, but any other operator can get in. If that is a concern, then I would buy keyed alike locks for all of the gear you have.
Same here, just use Cat locks or some handles have locks built in them. As Jerry said, it keeps the common vandals and kids from getting to the vitals. Also turn your disconnect off just in case a enterprising vandal has a Cat key.:cool2 If a dedicated equipment thief want's your piece of iron they'll find a way to get it. The best thing to do is make it has hard as possible to get it and hopefully they will go looking for easier pickings.
Does anyone know where to get CAT locks at a discount? I need about a dozen for this machine alone. Of course, it would solve the problem of not having an ignition key handy. Ken
Personally I'd go for something like this @ $8.50/ea, as Cat ignition keys are 10 a penny ....... http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MASTER-LOCK-Keyed-Padlock-1U176?Pid=search Cat padlocks show as $19/ea on my system, and are no more corrosion resistant than the Master Lock.
Looks like you can get padlocks keyed to CAT keys in plenty of places online. Will likely go that route. Ken