Saw this on the news this morning. Anybody got the skinny on this , other than the crane toppled. Looks like he didn't squirt the R/S outriggers out. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...florida-today-live-stream-updates-2018-05-30/
Well the left side were out! Wonder if just having that much boom out would cause it to fall even if it was not reaching over the right side. Maybe a gust of wind could do it or was the operator swinging over the side and tried swinging back when it started to fall? Crane Operator you out there? Need someone who knows what they are talking about instead of some retired grease monkey like me!
Almost looks like the right rear outrigger punched through the sidewalk.
Since boom was over the left outriggers, and it tipped right, I'd suspect those stabilizers, and the right side of the road, collapsed together.
I was trying to see anything like that but was not able to find a good view. What with all the sinkholes you hear about in that state I would not be surprised if that was the cause!
Found some pictures from the FD. Looks like a water main was damaged. What are the bets they main was leaking and caused a cavity? Edit: found another after they turned the water off.
Thank goodness no one was killed or crippled. This could've been so much worse.
http://m.vertikal.net/index.php?id=...=30649&cHash=2767a483bbefc53e288cc24754d842bf Some more information here.
I wonder how close to the surface that water main was located. Also like hvy 1ton says is there any way to know if there was a leak undermining the sidewalk?
Looks like maybe 3' to the top of the water main. FD with the pictures again.
By the images, it certainly appears as though the ground was already compromised. I also don't see the right side being on any sort of stable material. It looks like the sidewalk and street stopped just prior to the work area. Actually looks kinda sandy.
Any big AT I’ve ever worked around had massive pads they set the outriggers on, some better than 6x6. They might setup on smaller but before the weights were set in the tray the big pads were in use. I’d be curious to know how much counterweight that had on....based on another pic I’ve seen they had a fair amount of stick out. A blind SWAG is not enough pad under the outrigger....heck I’ve seen them with 10-12’ long mats under them on marginal ground. Can’t be too safe sometimes.
I count 4 sections out . I don't know if it's full power hydro and cable, or pin and latch. No matter how you slice it, that's a lot of stick. Plus, like junkyard brought up, how much counterweight? Haven't seen a clear picture of the CWT area . Where the one outrigger poked through, it left a big footprint.
Looks like a tadano. 5 axle carrier 3 axle boom dolly. I'm betting it's north of a 200t. It's hard to see much on anything on the counterweights. Should have right at 200' of boom and it looks like its all out. 225t grove has about 114k lbs of ctw. I'm guessing it's close to that size. Poor operator never had a chance.
You rang? Doesn't look like real good ground (I agree with the "sandy"), hard to tell how wet it really was, all the pictures are after the water main break, when everything was wet. It probably wasn't in nearly as deep when it first tipped, as it was after the main acted like a hydrojetter on it all. Sometimes things go bad, and by the look of the punch through hole, they had about a 4'x8' pad, which is what a lot of outfits use for over 200ton cranes. But that better be on good ground. In iowa we faced a lot of soft black dirt conditions. Our 175 and 360 ton cranes always got two 4'x 8' mats beside each other, then another one on top tying them together. Making a 8' x 8' pad. Under each outrigger. Our 120 ton got a 4x8 under each pad on good ground, but we had a second load of mats that we could double up with on soft ground. In southern missouri, our ground is mostly rock, or rock with a little clay mixed in. I get by on my 70 ton with a 3'x5' mat under each pad, but I have put 4x8 in a bad spot. The guys who I call in with a 210 only have a 4x8 for each pad, I've never seen them use more than that, but they may have more at their shop. I had a employee tip my 35 up with a load on 8 or so years ago, and one of the contributing factors was not a wide enough pad under the jack. I always throw down a 4'x3' set up, he was just 2'x3'. It makes a difference. As far as which way the boom was pointed, all that changes as the crane is tipping over, they are free swing, not braked like a excavator, so its not unusual to see them swing as they are going over. All in all, the best thing is that no one was killed. It can all go bad in a hurry. The biggest part of the story, is probably the distance involved. That didn't have to happen that way. Instead of cutting some trees in their right of way, or going up into a yard to get closer, they are setting out in the street to avoid impacting any homeowners. Some engineer or lawyer at florida power and light didn't want to make waves about their right of way and have a bunch of homeowners upset about their trees, (of course the homeowners want power- just don't cut down any of the trees back there in the right of way to work on it). I'm sure they have a right of way to access those poles on the back side of those houses. The line was put in 40 years ago, and has all grown up around it, and everyone has a garage and garden shack in the way to get back there and replace poles. Put down some mud mats and walk a rt in 60' closer and pay a homeowner damages. Or go in the back yards and cut a swath and listen to them all howl. Or set 200' away in the street. Lets see the job safety awareness sheet on that "where there's no safer way".....
Your mention of Mud Mats. Reminded me of a project done just a short distance from our house, an upgrade of some high power line I could not believe the amount of mats they put down. Below is just a small fraction of the job this went on for miles. this image is one I captured off Google maps. This is a part going through a corn field just a half mile from my house. All that is gone now and the corn was planted a week or so back. Some places where the ground was good and hard they just laid down a bead of crusher run which made the quarry where I used to work happy as sales for that year went up big time!
I was, incidentally, at the place yesterday that makes those mats. They have a machine that glues them together automatically. They store THOUSANDS of them in their yard. The truck on the left is my truck.