Was talking with a operator who I use to work with. He told me they had a 999 Tip over. Don't know details yet. There is no info out there about it. makes me wonder how many incidents go unreported.
I have heard of a few where they got lucky and no one was injured. Especially with the smaller outfits and older cranes. Get another rig and stand it up before it gets noticed. With the paper trail today I can see why.
same... The term "lost time injury" gets me, no lost time, and everything gets swept under the carpet. Ive known companies ******** paperwork, as in the injured persons shift rotations, (days/nights) with no breaks etc, which ironically gets overlooked, to fudge not having an LTI. Its a joke. Makes a complete mockery of the safety culture IMO.
The other side of this is if you followed every safety rule on the books to the letter the clerk in the office would have to make out a report for a paper cut while going throgh the mornings mail. And if it happened too often they would be let go as a safety risk. I have heard of a company getting a citation from MSHA be cause some one put a half eaten doughnut in the waste basket with no cover. Now I agree throwing out a perfectly good doughnut is a "crime" but is it a real safety issue?
In these days of smart phones and a media that gobbles up scare/human interest stories I think it's becoming less likely than it was say 15-20 years ago.
I think a LOT of accidents go unreported. It all depends on where it happens. Urban areas where everyone can see and take photos and video, it's all over the media, literally within minutes. If it is someplace behind a fence and not seen from the road, it's a lot less likely we will ever know about it. I think that's one reason some plants don't allow people to bring in phones/cameras, etc.
Accidents will happen .... It's part of life . People aint perfect That being said I don't worry to much on the job site as if we don't like something about the lift we just stop & regroup as needed . Where it get's crazy is moving from job to job on the road in traffic that don't give a rats arse . That's when I need a good " Blocker / jam car " ahead and behind me when moving . My Dad is pretty good at jamming traffic . LOL!
Blocker car. Lol we use to have to do with an link belt we had. 70k crane with a 555 cummins. That crane couldn't get out of its own way running downhill. It was fun on 465.
It is also OSHA regulation that garbage cans must have lids.
Yep .... Good blocker car keep's everyone safe & out of trouble . We do it whenever moving anything oversize . On state roads & moving through town blocker stays behind me and on country roads blocker runs about 1/2 mile ahead of me . Where's Burt Reynolds when we need him . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqaFGM-AyNA
Heck with Burt, where's Sally Fields?