Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Acetylene torch experts I need some help

Dozerboy · 2023-02-08 20:34

Well I'm a YouTube torch expert... I looking for some advice on what I did wrong and how to fix it. I'm not sure what I did exactly, but my "new" oxygen regulator won't regulate the pressure. It just keeps climbing. I read it was because I may have not had the T handle unscrewed far enough before turning the bottle on and it tore the diaphragm. I was looking up some information on rebuilding it. The diaphragm looked ok, but after removing it and the seat I found some debris. It looks like it might be some of the seal of the seat. What else would cause the issue? Also I'm wondering if I didn't damage the gauge too since it won't "0" out. What do I need to do to get this fixed? Im sure I can have this rebuilt, but I perf to doing myself because I want to learn.

Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2023-02-08 22:20

    As far as I know, backing off the regulator before turning it on is the proper procedure, but never happens in the real world. If you don't back it off, then stand off to the side and face away from the front of the Ox regulator when you open the valve. You should crack the O valve before hooking up the regulator, then very slowly crack the valve. Never let dirt or oil get into the oxygen regulator, very easy to explode from the heat of compression in pure O. I have no idea what exactly caused that. If you can find the parts, you can fix it. Might need a new gauge, or might be able to remove the back and "adjust" that one.

  2. #2Coaldust2023-02-09 01:15

    The fiber gasket that seals the diaphragm is probably leaking. That’s a used set, correct. ? You might assemble it and it will work fine. I personally don’t mess with them. They get dropped off at my favorite welding supply store and rebuilt. Because, my corporate safety director says so. Can’t argue with Raven the Safety Dog.

  3. #3B0B2023-02-09 21:37

    single stage regulator can blow out if you dont back the screw out after use. sounds like your regulator is blown. there are very few parts in there. all parts need to be assembled with no oil or grease that can combust.

  4. #4oarwhat2023-02-13 19:08

    I'll chime in on the keep it clean. No oil not even a drop. Also always look away when turning on the oxygen. We had the high pressure gauge screw up on time. I grabbed a used one and put it on. Second time I turned on the oxygen it exploded. It hit me in the eye but no real damage. It's so violent it almost striped the threads

  5. #5crane operator2023-02-13 20:02

    I don't know if victor will even sell you the parts, from a liability standpoint. If the welding supply house will sell you the diaphragm/ parts, you could rebuild it. Personally- I'd just pitch it and buy a new one. I never back off my regulators. I do turn on the tanks slowly.

  6. #6B0B2023-02-13 20:52

    cant remember where i got regulator kits from. tryebay. only fanatics back off regulators LOL.

  7. #7chidog2023-02-18 23:04

    Like a torque wrench you never leave pressure on a spring in the regulator. A flow meter? that is different.

  8. #8willie592023-02-18 23:13

    I've been working with torch and welding machine regulators for over 45 yrs, and my current occupation is in a steel fabrication shop that is literally full of regulators. I have never backed off regulators when not in use and that ain't gonna happen in a shop full of regulators. Not once in over 45 years have I seen an issue with this. But that's just my experience and nothing more.

  9. #963 caveman2023-02-19 06:27

    I never back down (to zero) the regulator nether. But why is it so many people crank them up with a big tip to cut small stuff. 6 or 7 lbs. of gas and 20-25 lbs. of ox is enough to burn 90% of the stuff we do.

  10. #10willie592023-02-19 19:32

    Ha, you should visit our shop, I've picked up a torch in the lower parts of the fab shop to repair something, hit the oxy lever and the damn thing is cranked up so high it has recoil.

  11. #11Old Doug2023-02-20 09:30

    Victor had a deal were you could trade a torch or regulater for a new one . It didnt matter the brand or condtion . I traded a old torch in that i got out of the junk. I realy needed another torch ?

  12. #12B0B2023-02-22 14:17

    uh , we all do. lol

  13. #13Dozerboy2023-02-23 00:12

    Yeah I was gonna have to buy the parts from a not so trusted source. I found a retired guy that rebuilt it for $47. Can't beat that. I would like to do it just to learn and thats the way I am, but I also don't really want to blow myself up. I don't really like learning to do things a 1/2 assed way and I'm not batting 1000 on this hobby. But I did manage to "braze" my aluminum fuel tank backup.

  14. #14Old Doug2023-02-23 06:49

    I have torch welded some aluminum i welded a timing chain over for my Dodge pickup. I want to try to do some more. They have some blue glasses that they say make it alot easyer i want to buy a pair. I have been practicing torch welding about any thing can be welded with a torch.

  15. #15Dozerboy2023-02-25 16:14

    I have done a few repairs to aluminum fuel tanks and added bugs to them. Also some hobby stuff. I loke aluminum, because it takes the heat a lot better. If you want to torch weld steel it puts a ton of heat in it and I figure it would warp often. Plus I live in the south. Even our winters aint cold enough I want to be around steel being torch welded. I never tried blue glasses let me know how it goes. I got a buddy way up North it has gotten in the knife making. We are out in front of his kilm playing and it was like 15゚outside. I was in a sweat shirt just because of the wind. I couldn't imagine doing that down here 9 months out of the year it's just to hot.

  16. #16DMiller2023-02-25 16:27

    Used to gas axe a lot of stuff, only fuel ever turned up higher than 7psig was LP, O2 was always at around 25psig even using a Cutmaster, just had more volume on bigger hoses. Still gas weld on occasion, just not very often.

  17. #17chidog2023-02-25 17:29

    If it wasn't mine I don't think I backed off them either. Mine I do. They now are close to 50 years old and have had zero problems with them, good old sears craftsman- harris stuff. Way nicer than over rated victor, better feel and balance too.