Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Add FOPS cage?

Dan Watrous · 2023-08-31 17:20

How safe are excavator rops cabs from falling/penetrating objects? We have purchased a mountain forest 40 acre lot which has overgrown logging roads and flat areas I want to clear and improve with an excavator. Pulling stumps from the larger trees we chainsaw, pushing over trees up to about a foot, and widening roads with a 15 ton machine is the plan. Buying an older machine makes sense rather than renting. I want a one owner machine with good maintenance record and a thumb. I rarely see excavators for sale with cages and screens added so it can't be a deal breaker. I wonder if one should be added. If so, any advice on older machines?

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2023-08-31 17:31

    Most if not all excavator cabs are not ROPS rated because excavators don’t overturn very often. Instead they are generally rated FOPS aka Falling Object Protective Structure. I would imagine that the primary reason that you don’t see excavators with added cages is because unless the cage design plus the mounting to the machine is all engineer-certified and signed off then it will be of no use whatsoever if something hits it and the person inside the machine dies.

  2. #2Dan Watrous2023-08-31 17:44

    Thank you. When I researched new models from major manufacturers and compared specs, they all state ROPS for their cabs, so I figured that FOPS was an upgrade that may or may not be available for older models. If it is not an OEM upgrade, then I am relieved to not pursue this.