I purchased an old mini Komatsu PC10-6 excavator about a 18 months ago and would like to add a hydraulic thumb to the bucket so I can move some bigger rocks on my property. I acquired a thumb, cylinder and bracket when I purchased the excavator. There are 3 circuits that come off the pump and I would like to tap off one of these circuits. Not quite sure how to do this and be able to use the operations and the thumb at the same time. I will upload some pictures of the hydraulics to aid in this discussion. Thanks. Allen Pump Hydraulic circuits
A photo of the entire machine would help. What I have seen the most is people divert oil to the blade to run the thumb. Usually the blade has its own pump and doesn't affect the rest of the functions when they are operated at the same time.
That was my thought on adding this thumb as it would be the least used circuit when running the machine. I believe I will require a power beyond sleeve to divert the oil from the blade control valve to a new 12 volts valve and switch that I would like to operate the new cylinder. Just unsure how to accomplish the entire task or where this power beyond sleeve goes. This is the first time I have tackled hydraulics and I am learning as I go. I will take another picture focusing in on the blade control valve and of the entire machine and post them tomorrow.
You can get an electric diverted valve plumb up stream of the blade control valve.
Here's a picture of my little Kamatsu PC10-6 . Yanmar 3 clyinder diesel. Runs like a charm but need some work. I've recently changed the sprockets, track guides, and soon one new idler coming from China. Installed new seals in the track tightening pistons. Giving it some new paint as well. d
There's a link here that has a pretty good how to for adding hydraulics --> https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/125912-custom-hydraulic-backhoe-thumb.html Joe H
Hi John C. How would I plumb into this diverted valve? Would take the "to" and "from" outlet from the blade valve and pipe them into the diverted valve then install the blade cylinder line into the other side of the diverted valve and then install the hydraulic lines to the thumb into the other two ports of the diverted valve? Would the blade control lever now operate both blade or thumb depending on the state of the diverted valve? The Under carriage swivel motor hydraulic lines are the two lines that have the lever adjustment nuts in the above picture. The hydraulic hose on the top of the valve and the hydraulic hose that is under the return line are the two lines going to the blade cylinder. Allen A
The diverter goes between the pump and the blade valve. It is an electrically shift Y valve that one mode would send oil to the blade and in the other mode would send oil to the thumb valve that you would have to also install. Find a hydraulic component supplier and talk to them about what is available.
The issue I believe I am going to have going between the Pump feed and the blade is that the blade valve also controls the undercarriage swivel motor as well. I was looking on line and this is what I found for a electric diverted valve. P1 and P2 I believe would be from the valve going to the existing blade hydraulic hoses
The swivel is a rotary manifold that allows the house to turn without winding up the hoses. It is not a motor. What you are showing would indicate that you would have to stroke the blade cylinder manually and push the button at the same time to move the thumb. With an electric diverter valve up stream of the blade control all you would have to do is put an electric actuated thumb control valve in and cycle a three way switch to use the thumb.
Oh, I now see your point. what you describe is not what I want. I am pretty limited with hydraulic suppliers where I live, so I am working with a guy at a local Canadian "Harbor Freight" type of store. There is some basic knowledge there, but my confidence level with them is low. I am trying to learn from a few sources, soon enough it will all sink in. Allen
Superhawk, did you ever figure this out properly? I am in the exact same boat with the exact same machine. I purchased a weld-on manual thumb for my PC10-6 and want to buy a ram and install whatever is needed to make the thumb hydraulic. Any information and or pictures would be a huge help. Thank you, Marc