Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding a two speed?

Copenhagen ยท 2010-04-22 21:51

First off, I must say that I dont even know how a two speed system for a skid steer works but I will continue with my question. Is it possible to add a two speed gearbox to an older machine? I "need" one for snow removal but the prices for the newer machines that come equipped from the factory are out of my price range. If it is possible, would it be too costly to be efficient?

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2010-04-23 18:46

    If you have a machine that had an option for two speed but your particular model did not come with that option it may be possible. However generally I think it would not be practical. You would be best to sell what you have and or trade up for a used machine with two speed.

  2. #2xcmark2010-04-23 20:54

    pushing snow in 2nd gear is faster some times BUT its much easier to spin the tires and not be able to get out of a pile......

  3. #3Deereman2010-04-24 01:47

    If its a deere most likely no. Has to come from the factory installed.