Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding an oil pressure gauge to a Kubota D1402 engine….may apply to others as well

dkmc ยท 2013-04-27 20:50

Here's a tip to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to a Kubota engine. I have recently acquired an old Mustang 342 of 1982 vintage. The wiring needs lots of help....the mice must like the taste of the insulation......OR the insulation is cheese flavored! I will get around to fixing all the screwed up issues with this unit but want to use it this summer and don't have time to putter. I was leery without any idiot lights or buzzers working so I wanted to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge, just to see what it was reading and to -know- it has good oil pressure..... I found the sending unit.....above and almost between the started and block.....and in the corner by the bell housing flange... Damn! Could they have picked a more miserable spot to hide the thing?? Impossible to get to it, can't unscrew it without at least removing the starter.......NO thanks.... Has to be some place else I can tap into oil pressure on this engine! I looked around, and thought the front cover where the oil filter mounts might be a good spot. Removed the oil filter and checked out the housing... Seems like it's worth a try... So I drilled and tapped a spot for 1/8 Pipe Thread. Worked great.....easy access too! It has great oil pressure and it's a relief to have a gauge in the cab to verify that! You can see the fitting to the right of the oil filter, with the white nylon line attached to it. dan k

Replies0

No replies yet.