Hey guys just registered in this forum. So I have an old f700 medium duty truck that came with a pto shaft driven dump bed. I just acquired an ATLAS A1 knuckle boom crane. I'm trying to figure out how to plumb hydraulics to make crane and dump bed work together, not necessarily at the same time, but if I could that would be a plus. Atlas crane has its own hydraulic tank with a supply hose and return. I grabbed pump that came with crane. This pump bolted directly to transmission with supply and return line. Right now I have crane plumbed into dump bed tank and lines. The only problem is I have move pto lever from dump bed in "down" position to make crane operate. Doing this I got main boom of crane to move up and down. No swing or secondary boom movement. So what's the answer here? Use pump from crane? Or try to make something work with pto shaft driven pump? Im lost and need some guidance. I obviously am doing something wrong. Crane has not been ran in probably 13 years. Just trying to make all this work together. Here are some pics to understand what I got going on, hope this makes sense! Forgot to mention i purchased truck with crane on it. Truck motor is blown up so could not operate crane on truck that i just purchased. But does still have the eaton 10 speed that i would like to swap to my flatbed dump at some point. Hopefully all pics upload. Thanks for any info
Hello and welcome to HEF. the system you have is known as a open centre system. This means the oil flows in a loop until pressure is required. The oil is then diverted into the required circuit. Typically crane and tipper body systems have a diverter valve so the flow goes to either the crane or lift cylinder. It can be also plumbed in series. Teeing into the pressure line wont work as the oil just flows back to tank through the other circuit. The diverter valve is plumbed into the line directly from pump. You will also need a relief valve.
Cliffy thanks for the quick reply. I have a valve just need the correct fitting. Is there anyway you can draw me a schematic or find a pic of how it should be plumbed with diverter valve and pressure relief valve Thanks again, much appreciated
Very basic schematic
Thank you
I had the same issue a dozen or so years ago, old Chevy [1974] C 60 was some ones grain truck. Dump body, 15 ft. I cut 3 ft off the front of the flatbed & mounted a Hiab crane behind the cab. Rather than mess with the truck hydraulic system, I mounted a separate pump & pony engine under the frame. The Hiab had it's own hydraulic tank, I got a 7 gpm pump, hooked to a 20+ hp engine from a JD 325 electric start, it works fine - I'll get a pic later today.
Here's a couple of pics
Hi guys, so I have knuckleboom working, but I've found by using it that the swing cylinders need new seals, anybody have and clue how to remove these. I have disconnected hyd line and removed Allen bolts. Thank you