i have a 315 that has a 42 bucket with a quick coupler and a hydraulic thumb i am wondering if there is a way to add more counterweight to balance me back out?
I've seen extra counterweight on 315/160's that bolts to the bottom of the main weight. No idea where to find them though, Cat dealer would probably be a good start.
I've found main dealers unhelpful for non standard modifications - worried about liability I guess. I'd search for firms who specialise in converting standard excavtors to long reach as they normally add extra counter weight by bolting a plate underneith rather than making a whole new counterweight.
does anyone have any pics of additional counterweight?
Deere added counter weight to a 230 i was working on didn't really pay attention but looked to be 2 2" plates under the counter weight. cat might do something similar, or you might find a welder to cut out some plates to bolt on cheaper than what cat has to offer.
I will try and post a pic of our Volvo 160 that we added a bit of extra weight to. We had the local welder fabricate two brackets that bolt on just on the inside of the counterweight. They drop down about 7 or 8 inches then point out to the end of the counter. The extra slab is probably 4x1 that then slides between the brackets and counter. It works very well, I can't imaging reaching out very far with out it now !!
when i worked for kiewit they took a 365CL and built the counterweight taller, what they did was extend the counterweight up by building a box on top (in the same shape as the counterweight) and filled it up with concrete. when they were done they painted it up nice, looked factory.
I think the smaller b series counter weight have large hollow sections so may be possible to nip off the top covers and fill it
Have you considered the possbility that maybe the bucket's too big for the material you're moving and rather than adding more weight at the back end you really should be looking to lose some capacity at the front..? I know it's not really what you want to hear, but it's a thought.
it has plenty of power to lift it up so i would sooner add some counterweight... how would i tell if my counterweight has hollow spots?
we had a customer that wanted weight added to his counterweight it we cut a small hole in top and found that there was about 10 '' of empty space across the enter top of the counterweight we filled it with steel balls that a local coal fired power plant used to powderize coal. BECAREFULL not to make any spark when cutting hole .this is cut and pasted from CAT instructions : Small amounts of hydrogen gas is generated during the normal curing process in the counterweight shell because of a chemical reaction between the cement and the water.. Flame cutting, welding, or grinding are modifications that can cause internal explosions in the counterweight. We found this out he hard way wasnt a explosion but guy cutting hole got a bit of hair burnt. If you think your going to cut a hole in weight I can email you instustions I hate to see anyone get hurt.
PAcattech, if you could email the instructions on cutting the counterweight. that would be awesome. planning to add more to couple of our machines. Thanks!
I know for Deere there is a aftermacket company that makes add on counter weights that the dealer sells.
i am also interested in opening the counterweight the safe way is there a way to tell if it is hollow? has anyone else with a cat b class cat excavator opened up theres?
We use a hole saw then add metal powder and cement (dry) it will pull enough water to set up from the air.
do you have any pics? it sounds like there is hollow spots in the weight when i tap on it
Came across these people who do all sorts of excavator modifications, one of which is extra counterweight kits. No idea what they are like, but the pictures look impressive! Can't work out how to grab pictures from their site so here is the link. http://www.piercepacific.com/special_projects.php
I drilled a couple holes in the top of the counterweight and can see there is empty space in there. Ive seen people talk about putting cement in them but i don't like the fact that it is permanent.. I am thinking about pouring dry sand down in there and then if i ever wanted it out i could drill a hole in the bottom and the sand should come out... Any input on the idea?
Steel shot or the likes would be alot more dense
mate really depends on how much weight you want to add to the machine. but i agree with jam i think steel shot would be best but sand is probably cheaper though .
i will do some looking for steel shot today thanks for the idea