Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding thumb to Hitachi ZX 240

RJ-240 · 2025-04-12 11:44

I picked up a great machine, 2008 Hitachi ZX 240LC-3, last fall and now want to add a hydraulic thumb. The machine has auxiliary hydraulic lines on the boom but may need different hydraulic controls. My local mechanic is competent to service the machine but this procedure would be a big (risky) stretch. The nearest dealer is 80 miles away and suggests trailering the machine to their shop so I may need to go that route. However, I wonder if this community has any advice about how and where I might find a mechanic who could get this done: assess the machine, ensure I buy an appropriate thumb (new or used), install the thumb and necessary controls. I would think that paying transportation for the right mechanic might be more affordable than trailering the machine to a dealer. I've been reaching out locally with no luck so far. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Is there a board for this? My first post so please pardon me if it's not landing in the right place. Thanks.

Replies12
  1. #1skyking12025-04-12 12:51

    Welcome! post up the serial number. Some members have access or skills to get the original build info and that is the best start to a project like this. The factory parts catalog may have everything you need in it, but the thumb hardware itself. Better to not reinvent th wheel, so to speak.

  2. #2RJ-2402025-04-12 12:58

    Thanks. S/N: FF00ASU420006

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-04-12 15:15

    @RJ-240 ,Are you running any attachments currently ? Post pictures of the right hand joystick and any controller/ controls you may have on the floor (excluding the travel pedals) .

  4. #492U 34062025-04-12 15:18

    Should be pretty simple on the hydraulic side of it if you already have aux hydraulics operational. The welding of the thumb cylinder to the back of the arm is where you want a skilled welder involved.

  5. #5RJ-2402025-04-14 11:15

    I have only a shovel attached. The right joystick has three buttons (pic attached here). There are no floor controls. The left/right buttons are live in that they cause click sound so are wired to actuate something electrical; however, pressing them does not put any perceptible load on the hydraulics. The dealer rep looked up the build information and reported the build list says "less aux hydraulics" and "hydraulic lines only." Researching online I found a kit that seems appropriate to the machine from HKX that includes instructions for re-wiring the joystick. My mechanic said it looks good but isn't sure if it's needed. I think we're over our heads.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-04-14 13:36

    Follow the right side auxiliary hose from the base of the boom to where it terminates. Does it end at a selector valve similar to the attached pic ? .

  7. #7RJ-2402025-04-15 12:21
  8. #8Diesel Dave2025-04-15 15:10

    Thanks for the selector valve pic. Knowing now what all was factory installed , as you suspected you are missing the 2 way solenoid valve kit. There is kit # AT330567 , I am assuming is still available from Deere. See screenshot below. It may be more money than an HKX solenoid kit but I think you will find it is “plug and play“. Check your messages shortly for some info. .

  9. #9Diesel Dave2025-04-17 10:12

    @RJ-240 FYI, I was able to load that file, check your messages.

  10. #10skyking12025-04-17 12:48

    Perfect that was what i was alluding to in my post. No need to reinvent the wheel on the plumbing controls.

  11. #11RJ-2402025-04-18 00:45

    Thanks for the very helpful guidance. I now have a concrete direction to pursue. @Diesel Dave , getting that specific took time, and the part numbers and installation guide are just incredibly valuable. Greatly appreciated!

  12. #12skyking12025-04-18 11:08

    my own post. That was what I was talking about. @Diesel Dave and @mg2361 and @LACHAU and @Nige and several others carry the vast bulk of knowledge and are just outstanding help.